Starting Nursing in the fall

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hello all, my name is Andy and i just got accepted to my nursing program the other day. I am so proud of myself, I am especially grateful because for the longest time i wanted to start nursing school, When i applied i got put on an alternate list, #8 to be exact, and there were 2 alternate lists, 1 for people who were getting in from their GPA, and the other for people who took the NLN. I was on the NLN list, and they only take 15 people from 2 combined NLN tests so things weren't looking to good for me, that was until last Thursday when i got my mail and got the acceptance letter. Anyway(i just Love telling that story, maybe cause I'm still in shock!) What do you do in your first semester of Nursing school??? I see On my schedules one of the days that i will be going to school from 7:30a - 2:30p do you think that will be a clinical day. What do you learn the first semester as far as clinical go. DO you learn medication administration and pharmacology the first semester. I am assuming that my school integrates the pharm portion because there is no pharmacology class that is separate that you have to take. I am just so excited and i wont be starting Nursing until September 5th, but i have anatomy physiology 1 this month, A&P 2 next month, Human growth On-line, and I'm going to try and take Microbiology The 3rd 5 weeks session so i wont have to take it with the nursing courses next year, so this stuff should keep me busy and make time go fast until then. Anyone please feel free to share you first semester(or any) nursing school experiences with me and anyone else that may read this post.Also congrats to all that are graduating and going out into the "real world" job well done, and congrats to all the other new students like me.

Andy

Hello all, my name is Andy and i just got accepted to my nursing program the other day. I am so proud of myself, I am especially grateful because for the longest time i wanted to start nursing school, When i applied i got put on an alternate list, #8 to be exact, and there were 2 alternate lists, 1 for people who were getting in from their GPA, and the other for people who took the NLN. I was on the NLN list, and they only take 15 people from 2 combined NLN tests so things weren't looking to good for me, that was until last Thursday when i got my mail and got the acceptance letter. Anyway(i just Love telling that story, maybe cause I'm still in shock!) What do you do in your first semester of Nursing school??? I see On my schedules one of the days that i will be going to school from 7:30a - 2:30p do you think that will be a clinical day. What do you learn the first semester as far as clinical go. DO you learn medication administration and pharmacology the first semester. I am assuming that my school integrates the pharm portion because there is no pharmacology class that is separate that you have to take. I am just so excited and i wont be starting Nursing until September 5th, but i have anatomy physiology 1 this month, A&P 2 next month, Human growth On-line, and I'm going to try and take Microbiology The 3rd 5 weeks session so i wont have to take it with the nursing courses next year, so this stuff should keep me busy and make time go fast until then. Anyone please feel free to share you first semester(or any) nursing school experiences with me and anyone else that may read this post.Also congrats to all that are graduating and going out into the "real world" job well done, and congrats to all the other new students like me.

Andy

Many congrats, Andy! You've got quite a journey ahead :)

Take a look around these boards, particularly this one, and you'll see lots and lots of info on the questions you've asked.

Different schools have different ways of going about things, so you'll see varied schedules described. One thing to know is you'll be doing a HUGE AMOUNT of reading! Enjoy your summer now, please PLEASE don't go nuts trying to "get ahead" by reading Fundamentals books now. There's lots of time for that, and every instructor has his/her own spin on what's important in the books they assign.

These boards are great for finding out tons of great information, and asking questions of those more experienced. Best of luck to you!!

One thought on the "getting ahead" thing: most, if not all, nursing schools require a pass/fail dosage test the first month or so of school (once in the core classes anyway). Brush up on basics if you're accustomed to a calculator; you'll need to know fractions, decimals and basic arithmetic to start, calculator-free. If there's a Calculations book on your required list for school, that's the only one I'd deal with now :)

RNs2Brwe-- Thank you so much, Friday i have to take a math dignostics test, If you get below and 85 you have to take a 5 day non credit math for Meds class, If you get below a 51 you have to take Improvements of Math over the summer. I think even if i dont have to take any remediation that i am going to take the 5 day class anyway just to familiarize myself, because i been out of high school for a while and i havent takena ny math classes yet. Do you think it woul dbe a good idea???

Congratulations on your acceptance into the program! I just completed my 1st semester of the nursing program. As stated in a previous post, each school and instructor will have different things that they choose to teach, but to give you an idea, these are some of the topics that were covered.

Intro. to nursing, history and theorectical foundations, taking vital signs, therapeutic communication, history taking and physical assessment, healing, culture & ethnicity, the nursing process, gerontology, health care delivery system, legal ethical issues, self concept, spiritual health, stress & coping, client education (teaching & learning), documentation, circulation, concepts of oxygenation, skin & wound care, infection control, fluid & electrolytes, immobility & safety, nutrition, urinary & bowel elimination, pain & sleep, death & dying, physical assessments of chest/lungs/breast/abdomen/cardiac and peripheral vascular. I did have a lab and clinical along with lecture weekly. In lab you will learn hands on skills regarding things taught in lecture. In clinical you will apply the skills while providing care to clients. I had a separate pharmacology class, but skills for administering meds/injections was addressed during specific lab sessions. I did administer med/injections during clinicals (to patients I provided care for). I hope that this is helpful to you and wish you success in your future.

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

congratulations, andy!

your first clinicals are actually done in a nursing skills lab on the college campus. most of these skills labs have a hospital setup and lots of literature and/or videos for the students to watch. each school sets their labs up differently. you usually don't get to do anything on a live patient until you've return demonstrated a number of basic nursing skills in the skills lab. back when i was a student nurse, we had a life size doll called mrs. chase who we did our nursing procedures on. we also had to be guinea pigs for a few things as well. i'm not quite sure what the schools do these days. perhaps some of the students will talk about it.

please check out the links on this post:

https://allnurses.com/forums/1643291-post4.html

it has a bunch of links to the syllabi for the nursing fundamentals classes at various colleges around the country. your school may not be exactly the same, but it is, at least, something for you to look at and think about.

+ Add a Comment