RN to MD?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Specializes in Pediatric/Adolescent, Med-Surg.

Yesterday at a family gathering I met my cousin's fiance. I had been told by relatives that she was getting ready to apply to medical school so I had assumed she was a pre-med or biology type major. I was pleasantly surprised to find out she is a nursing student (BSN program) who took all of the pre-med classes along with her nursing classes so that she would meet the med school requirements. She hopes to work as a nurse while in med school. I found her way of getting an M.D. fascinating, and had never heard of anyone doing this before. It sounded like a great idea to me as it will definitely give her a greater appreciation for the jobs nurses perform. Has anyone ever heard of a student doing something like this before?

Specializes in Neuro, Critical Care.
Yesterday at a family gathering I met my cousin's fiance. I had been told by relatives that she was getting ready to apply to medical school so I had assumed she was a pre-med or biology type major. I was pleasantly surprised to find out she is a nursing student (BSN program) who took all of the pre-med classes along with her nursing classes so that she would meet the med school requirements. She hopes to work as a nurse while in med school. I found her way of getting an M.D. fascinating, and had never heard of anyone doing this before. It sounded like a great idea to me as it will definitely give her a greater appreciation for the jobs nurses perform. Has anyone ever heard of a student doing something like this before?

I graduated with an undergrad of psych/soc and always wanted to go to med school. I chose to go back into a direct entry masters program for nursing (not advanced practice). I have one pre req to go and I am hoping to apply to medical school in 2008. I love nursing but the more I know the more I want to keep learning and fulfill my dream of becoming an MD and it will be so helpful to have a career while in school! I cant be a poor grad student EVER again:)

Hi there! I just graduated nursing school in May and just passed my boards July 13th. I've actually thought about going to med school too. I have all the prereqs done i'm actually just finishing up Calc II and thinking about taking Biochem in the fall. I also didn't have a lab in A&P...well actually at the nursing school i went to, we had anatomy one semester and physiology the next semester with no lab! So i thought about retaking it with the lab, even though i did good in both. Good luck to you!! :) and good luck to you too ELKMNin06! :)

I know quite a few physicians that did either pharmacy or nursing for undergrad. It really makes sense. You can get another view of things, as well as can work, when you have the time, and get paid a decent wage.

Hi there! I just graduated nursing school in May and just passed my boards July 13th. I've actually thought about going to med school too. I have all the prereqs done i'm actually just finishing up Calc II and thinking about taking Biochem in the fall. I also didn't have a lab in A&P...well actually at the nursing school i went to, we had anatomy one semester and physiology the next semester with no lab! So i thought about retaking it with the lab, even though i did good in both. Good luck to you!! :) and good luck to you too ELKMNin06! :)[/quoteA

Any of the med schools I have looked into (quite a few) dont require A&P? I know physics a whole year, english 1 yr, organic chem and non organic chem, one year each, biology one year or eqiv., I didnt think calc was a pre req either, although I suffered through 3 quarters. Biochem I didn't think was a prereq either? What med schools have you been looking into? Im more worried about the MCATs, my gen chem is from 99-00! Yikes!

Hi there! I just graduated nursing school in May and just passed my boards July 13th. I've actually thought about going to med school too. I have all the prereqs done i'm actually just finishing up Calc II and thinking about taking Biochem in the fall. I also didn't have a lab in A&P...well actually at the nursing school i went to, we had anatomy one semester and physiology the next semester with no lab! So i thought about retaking it with the lab, even though i did good in both. Good luck to you!! :) and good luck to you too ELKMNin06! :)[/quoteA

Any of the med schools I have looked into (quite a few) dont require A&P? I know physics a whole year, english 1 yr, organic chem and non organic chem, one year each, biology one year or eqiv., I didnt think calc was a pre req either, although I suffered through 3 quarters. Biochem I didn't think was a prereq either? What med schools have you been looking into? Im more worried about the MCATs, my gen chem is from 99-00! Yikes!

Hi there. Well I live in MA...so I'm looking into going to med schools here and i am still considering it. Some med schools do require Calc but not all. Biochem is strongly recommended in most medical schools, and i think required in some. Yeah i've seen very few med schools require A+P...i thought i would just brush up on it again...especially since i had no lab in nursing school! i'm done with organic chem, inorganic (or general chem), physics (hated it!!), and bio. Finished those up last summer. Calc i think helps you more with physics and i guess if you're going to some specialty like Neuro...that was something i was told last week. But it really depends on the school. Yeah i'm worried about the MCAT's too....i think Kaplan offers a review for the MCAT. But then again if i passed the NCLEX, i could hopefully do the MCAT- even though its more bio, physics and the chemistry....:uhoh3:

I would recommend that if someone wants to be a doctor, he or she should find out what applicants are most attractive to medical schools and then go about making him or herself that person. Are medical schools looking for BSN students? (Years ago they were giving high priority to humanities majors.) I don't know...

There are a few students in my program who plan on doing the same.

I would recommend that if someone wants to be a doctor, he or she should find out what applicants are most attractive to medical schools and then go about making him or herself that person. Are medical schools looking for BSN students? (Years ago they were giving high priority to humanities majors.) I don't know...

Interestingly enough most med schools I have looked into don't even require a bachelors degree, weird, I know. The requirements are: 90 semester hours at a U.S. accredited, four-year, degree-granting institution of higher education. Students who have attended an undergraduate college outside of the United States should have a graduate degree or a minimum of 20 hours of science coursework from a U.S. college or university.

Students currently in a professional school or a degree-granting graduate program must complete all degree requirements and show documentation of graduation or completion of requirements prior to matriculation.

A baccalaureate degree is encouraged but not required.

MCAT scores received within the past three years are required.

All majors are valued. Students are expected to engage in a rigorous academic program that enables them to understand the basic principles of the sciences fundamental to medicine and to appreciate the psycho/social nature of man. All applicants are expected to have the knowledge usually obtained in one-year courses in biology, general and organic chemistry, physics, and mathematics. In addition, the undergraduate program should provide an understanding of the basic social, cultural, and behavioral factors that influence individuals, families, and communities. Regardless of the area of concentration, the applicant should have acquired effective learning, communication, and problem-solving skills. Knowledge of the basic principles of statistics and computer literacy are strongly recommended.

this is copied and pasted from the Univ. of Cincinnati's medical school a very reputable program. I have seen this similar thing with many schools.

I have also seen information on medical school websites saying that preference will be giving to existing health care professionals who wish to further their education. I asked my advisor what she thought about the subject a few months ago and she replied, "what better of a major to have when going into medical school than a nursing degree?". You are heads above the new med students, I mean the heart works the same way whether you are a nursing student or a medical student:)

I have also heard that its the MCAT scores that are the real determiner. I have heard of smart people retaking and retaking the MCATs becuase t heir scores just arent competitive. Who knows. Good luck to all though.

That is an option I am leaving open for the future. I was all set to apply to medical school after four year college ( with a major is biology/biochem) but I got side tracked by a useless masters in public health at an prestigious, expensive private school in Baltimore and now have over 50 thousand in student loans to pay back. I start a program this fall for an RN-BSN in three semesters and hope to pay down some of my student loans and then apply to medical school. I always wanted to become a physician, but got discouraged by all the redtape and hassles. Now it is something I am thinking about again. Being a RN leaves such a flexible schedule, I could work while I went back to medical school.

Specializes in Pediatric/Adolescent, Med-Surg.

Thank you everyone, for sharing your experiences. While I doubt med school is in my future, it's great to hear that some nurses are taking that route. :specs:

i admire your cousin's fiance. this is my plan from the begining. i know that eventually one day i will be a pediatric doctor. i chose nursing to help become familiar with patients, hospitals, etc. i want to gain enough experience so that i can become a great pediatric doctor. i talked to this lady in high school few years ago about it. she said that it is a great idea to this.

+ Add a Comment