Position paper

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I am looking for some ideas for a subject to write a position paper on. It has to be some sort of ethical/legal issue, and I would like to pick something that is kind of original. Any suggestions would be great!

try asisted suicides or if a patient cuold chose to end thier own lives. as patient right activists if our patient wishes to pass on and is of sound mind but thier body is broken do we have a right to go against thier wishes and keep them alive ? We had 5 papers on this and we spent alot of time talking about it inside class and out. Ibet you will get alot of feedback from it. good luck on the paper.

WildShot

you really shouldnt be reading down here the message is up there

Specializes in NICU/L&D, Hospice.

I had an ethical paper to write. It didn't have to be "legal" issues. I did mine on nurses .vs nursing students. It was a journal article titled "Speak out or shut up". The journal article addresses the topic of student nurse accountability and ethical responsiblility in regards to acting in the patient's best interest when observing nursing practice that is inappropriate or has been updated with evidence-based practice. It was very interesting and original.

Morris, R. (2004). Speak out or shut up? Paediatric Nursing, 16(6), 20-22.

if we were assigned an ethical paper in my nursing class i would write it about whether or not steps should be taken to save micropreemies. i have read more than a few articles lately about it and everytime i do i get all fired up again! my son was a micropreemie and i am glad that the doctors didn't ask me if we wanted them to save him or not...i would have been livid if they even considered not doing all they could. as you can tell i get very wound up about this topic...sorry! and since that little man documentary has been shown on hbo all i've heard about is how lucky i am to have a healthy baby now but why did i let him go through all that.

okay...i have to go cool off now:)

good luck on your paper!

heather

Specializes in NICU, High-Risk L&D, IBCLC.

I wrote an ethical/legal paper on genetic testing for incurable diseases (specifically Huntington's). Some classmates also did papers regarding organ tranplantation for patients with diseases caused by drinking and smoking.

These aren't original, but...

Circumcision -- what if a nurse doesn't believe in it, should she assist in it, or be required to, should she give families information about the pros and cons

DNR -- what if a nurse believes a patient should be DNR but the family is resistant, should she advocate for her position

Cosmetic surgery -- should minors be allowed to get cosmetic surgery with a parent's approval, when is it appropriate and when isn't it

I guess all these bring up issues where someone, a family member is making decisions for another family member. This is very tricky area ethically.

My ethics paper was on what should be done with teenagers and their parents and consent.

+ Add a Comment