- 0May 19, '09 by LegacyJSHi everyone
I am a little confused and hope you can help me. I was thinking about applying to Barry's Accelerated program. I looked at their site and all the info however it says no repeats, well i had a c in one of my science courses and retook it and received an A. At the time i originally took this course i was not planning on majoring in Nursing so i did bare minimum but it seems its coming back to hunt me. So my question is since i have a repeat should i just forget about Barry? or do you know of anyone who has gotten in with a repeat? Also the only classes that are required in order to apply are the science courses since i already have a BS? thanks for any and all info you may provide.
- 2May 20, '09 by GCoro002Hi there,
I have recently been accepted to their accelerated program for their upcoming Spring Term. I remember when I met with one of the admission's counselors that she told me they wouldn't accept repeats for sciences courses and would consider repeats for other courses that have nothing to do with the nursing program. For example, if you had a D in government, they would probably overlook that. In your case, you didn't fail the science course. You should consider speaking with one of the admission's counselors because there might still be a chance that you can get in. You also have to think about the other science courses you have taken. If you did really well in the other courses, maybe it won't matter. For instance, I had all A's in my science course with the exception of Bio where I got a C...
I think you should just give them a call and see what they say.
- 0May 31, '09 by jmh02sHi all:
I spoke to an admissions advisor at Barry the other day, hoping to get into their January accelerated program. I was very disappointed to hear that I didn't have a chance of getting in for January, since I still had a few pre-reqs left to do (A&P II, biochem, & microbiology) & would be too much of a "liability" to accept, since they wouldn't be able to determine how I'd fare in the actual nursing program. Did any of you have similar experiences?? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were your GPA's to get accepted into the program? Thanks for all of your help!
- 0May 31, '09 by jmi0886Hey Jenn,
I was accepted for this Fall with a 3.4 overall and like a 3.8 in my sciences. This was my second time applying because i did not get into the program the year before because i was still enrolled in a lot of my pre-reqs. Since your doing the accelerated it might be a little more competitive. Good luck !
- 0Jul 29, '09 by AsiraI think they look at your overall GPA, but with a stronger look into your sciences. I had a 3.6 GPA all around with a 3.9ish in the sciences and I was accepted into their accelerated for Spring '10. It couldn't hurt to go and talk to an adviser anyways, considering you technically didn't retake the course because you failed, only to raise your GPA. :]
PS. Nice to see some people here who I may be seeing around come January.
- 0Jul 31, '09 by jmh02sBarry has a continuous, rolling application timeline; however, they are already full for the January session (alternates included), so the next session you'll be able to apply for would be the Fall session. I'm applying for their Accelerated program, and I know for that program they look at your overall GPA (it needs to be above 3.0, but more like a 3.3 and above to be competitive), but focus more on your science classes when considering your application (such as A&P 1&2, Chemistry, etc). I'm not sure how they evaluate applications for the Basic BSN program, but I'd assume it's in a similar fashion. Good luck!