Full Circle, my First Year of Nursing - page 5
by Imafloat 68,709 Views | 138 Comments
January-I was thrilled to have my dream job in a Newborn ICU, I was making cold hard cash. I had an awesome preceptor for orientation. I was signing my name with RN behind it, I was giving meds all by myself, I was a nurse, woo... Read More
- 1Feb 2, '08 by onmyway08I just started my third semester of RN. I feel the same way when I go to clinical. I feel so lost sometimes and overwhelmed that I don't know where to start and what to do. My biggest fear is that I will not have the skills I need after I graduated to work by myself. I am so slow at giving meds after checking everything over and over. I don't want to make an error. If anyone has any advice, please advise.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
- 1Feb 5, '08 by OceanmoonWeebaby: You truly should attempt to get that published. You can touch so many students and first year nurses. You truly have displayed that not ALL nurses are negative. I would love to see more first year nurses document their first year experiences and it might ENCOURAGE instead of discourage more people to enter the nursing field. Nursing will give you just what you expect....it will either be a rewarding experience or you will quickly find that you just aren't really a NURSE at HEART and can't hang in there. You go NURSE. We love your dedication.
- 1Feb 5, '08 by akai6I need to do one of these. I just finished LVN school, waiting to take boards on Valentine's Day and all the while I started back at community college, to brush up pre-reqs for BSN. I currently work in a small dialysis unit, where when I finish I will be the med nurse/team leader and have my own 4 patients. Uh oh
Oh the humanity!!!
- 1Feb 6, '08 by 2spr0ut02I'm applying to ABSN programs this year in hopes of starting this fall or next spring. Thinking about it has me anxiety filled already. I'm worried about not getting in. I'm even more worried about getting through nursing school and eventually being a nurse. I want to work in NICU too. Your story has eased my fears just a hair. If it wasn't so important to me I wouldn't be worried. Somewhere deep down I know that I can do this. And one day I'll be able to come full circle like you.
- 1Feb 8, '08 by ambrabergerI am also a new grad who went straight into the nicu and I could identify with every word you wrote! Very nicely done, and know you are not alone! I got called yesterday and was told I got one of the rotating positions, so I'll do 6 wks of days then 6wks of nights. We'll see how it goes. But every day I love my job more and more! Way to hang in there!