Favorite and least favorite diagnoses? - Page 3Register Today!
- Jan 31, '12 by FootballnutShort of Air. I think someone got tired of calling patients SOBs
I really like cardiac stuff and we do a lot of it. I have a bias against cyclic vomiting. I just hate hearing someone continuously heaving no matter what I do.
Other than that I am up for almost anything. Look out sick people!
- Feb 3, '12 by al7139My Faves are a nice simple STEMI ( they are in the cath lab and no longer my problem within 45 minutes) and the female abd pains (suprise youre preggo) that just hang out with minimal interventions.
Least faves are the "unfixables" (insert name of regular patient here) that expect drugs and breakfast every time they show up.... I tell them that if I havent eaten, they don't eat. They time their visits by the time of day and the MD who is working. Over it no sympathy.
- Feb 4, '12 by ErinBSNI love my CP's MI's and CVA's. I don't like the "discharge" Urinary, or ETOH Withdrawls (had 4 this past week)
- Feb 5, '12 by RobublindFav= any pt with a legit emergent medical problem
Least= That etoh who just woke up but isn't sober enough to flush out the door. and
The one with the family who is telling you how much pain the pt is in, "why aren't you doing anything about the pt pain?" and when you ask the pt "no Im fine, I don't want any pain meds"
- Feb 5, '12 by CrashEDMy least favorite is CONSTIPATION!!!!!! I worked in Geriatrics and GenSurg before I went to the ED....I thought I had escaped the dreaded bowel regime and "An enema a day keeps the belly pain away!"....and yet it still haunts me once a set!
- Feb 8, '12 by 911kristinMy Favs: STEMI, Trauma, Code, Septic Shock....you know, the ACTUAL sick ones! I also enjoy a drunk from time to time, I love to laugh at them and have a good time! Real Mental Health Evals, not the attempted suicides or homeless people, but the ones who are have command hallucinations and think the CIA are actually after them or the ones who think they have been transformed into a robot (true story, lol)...always entertaining! Acute Appys!
Least Favs: Dialysis patients (i worked as a student the renal floor before graduating - i've had ENOUGH!), SICKLE CELL! one in particular we always get whose pain is never anything but 10/10 and asks for her pepsi, crackers and phone before we can even finish the 'assessment' and refuses to leave until her show is over! ugh! we routinely call security to escort her out, but she still comes back!! I also hate the septic work up on kiddos <30 days old, esp when the doc is only doing it to "prove a point" to a mother who swears her child is sick because he/she keeps crying. the old man who is constipated when he hasn't had a BM in 12 hrs! Abd pain X 3 yrs, chronic low back pain, fibromyalgia, "i'm broke out down there" male OR female version! Vaginal bleeding - LMP about 4 wks ago! (duh...)
The list goes on!