What are the steps I need to take to become a Phlebologist?

  1. I am very interested in becoming a Phlebologist which specialize in veins. I'm looking to eventually practice Sclerotheraphy, so I would like to know the steps I should take to reach my goal. I have just completed and passed my exam to become a Certified Phlebotomist (CPT1) in the state of California. So any guidance or advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edit by JustBeachyNurse on Mar 22, '13
  2. Visit marvinfinch34 profile page

    About marvinfinch34

    Joined: Mar '13; Posts: 5


  3. by   Best_Name_Ever
    If you are planning on becoming a phlebologist, I think you need to start looking at med schools. A phlebologist is a physician. Not sure why this is posted under CNAs...
  4. by   loriangel14
    Yes you would need to go to med school and become an MD first.Then you would have to complete the necessary pre med classes, 4 years of med school and then a residency.Sclerotherapy is performed by doctors.
    Last edit by loriangel14 on Mar 17, '13
  5. by   marvinfinch34
    Well I did some research and found that not just Physicians can train to become a phlebologist. This is what I found:
    Who may attend phlebological training?
    Physicians (M.D. / D.O.), Nurses, Physician Assistants, FKT

    I also read somewhere that "Beauty Therapist" can also train to become a phlebologist.
    So if anyone know the steps I appreciate your input.
    Last edit by marvinfinch34 on Mar 18, '13 : Reason: space
  6. by   marvinfinch34
    Thank you loriangel14
  7. by   JustBeachyNurse
    The site you found that will train non-physicians for the credential should have the requirements.

    To be a board certified phlebologist you need to be an MD or DO as it is considered a medical specialty.

    i suspect the non-physicians are mid level practitioners (PA's and advanced practice RNs) not nursing assistants or phlebotomists due to the invasive nature of the treatment and assessment, diagnostic & other skills required. Plus the legal authority to order such treatment modalities. I've only seen vascular surgeons in my area with such a credential. They use PAs (minimum of master's degree plus clinical experience), APNs, and experienced OR RNs in their practice as it is a combination of medical and cosmetic therapy depending on the reason for treatment.
  8. by   JustBeachyNurse
    From Wikipedia: "A phlebologist is a medical specialist in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of venous origin. The specialty of phlebology has developed to enable physicians sharing an interest in venous disease to share knowledge and experience despite being trained in a variety of backgrounds such as dermatology, vascular surgery, haematology, or general medicine. Diagnostic techniques used include the patient's history and physical examination, venous imaging techniques and laboratory evaluation related to venous thromboembolism. The American Medical Association has added phlebology to their list of self-designated practice specialties."

    The only other training I found was for physician support staff ( RN, APN, PA-C) to assist the physician in pre/intra/post procedural care.

    From the American board of phlebologist (phlebology.org) What is phlebology?
    Phlebology is the branch of medicine that deals with veins and disease of veins.

    What is a phlebologist?
    A Phlebologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of vein disorders.

    In order to be a phlebologist you must be a licensed physician.
  9. by   funtimes
    I guess I dont quite understand why this is being asked in the CNA/MA section, or for that matter on a Nursing forum.
  10. by   marvinfinch34
    Thanks everyone for you input. And this is not the only forum it's being asked in...I need input from all aspects of the medical field from all specialist