First night of training at very first CNA job. NERVOUS.Register Today!
- by esand Jan 26I got hired at a skilled nursing facility/Alzheimer's unit/Nursing home. I'm in a float pool going to all three of those departments, from what I understand.
I'm being trained today on the 3-11 shift so that I can pick it up if I want to. I'm being trained Mon, Tuesday and Thursday on the 6 AM to 1:30 PM shift, which will be my main shift.
Any tips for me on my first day of training? My heart feels like it's going to jump out of my chest here.
- Jan 26 by Orange TreeJust stay busy and be helpful (should be easy enough) . Ask questions about anything you're unsure of.
My first nursing clinical was in an Alzheimer's unit. I managed to get a "bedrest" patient out of bed, dress him in his roommate's clothes and take him to the dining room. He had been lying in his roommate's bed and had no ID, so I thought he was the roommate. Opps! I also assisted a visitor in finding his way to the elevator. He turned out to be a patient trying to escape. Sooooo, don't do those things!Last edit by Orange Tree on Jan 26
- Jan 26 by esandAwesome advice, thank you.
Also, my scrubs are huge on me, mainly the pants. I'm an extra small chick with a very small chest, so is this acceptable? I'll post a picture.
- Jan 26 by Orange TreeYep, you've got to be able to move! Scrub pants can rip wide open if they're too small.
- Jan 27 by esandRip wide open? Oi, I don't want that. I was advised to replace the shirt with an extra small, but keep the pants.
First night went absolutely awesome. I learned a ton and really got my hands dirty, both figuratively and literally. ;p Tomorrow I'll be on the 1st shift, which kind of sucks because I really bonded with the 2nd shift STNAs and we work very well together. They were extremely short so I worked more than I was trained, because she didn't have the time to be training me. That was cool with me, I prefer to learn the hard way.
- Jan 27 by Orange TreeCongratulations! I'm glad you had a good night.