New CNA working for a Home Health agency as an independent contractor?? Doesn't seem likely--i.e., not a likely successful situation.
Used to be, years ago, the agency would simply say, "You're responsible for your own taxes," saying no more, and specifically not explaining this meant you had to pay your own Social Security taxes--like 13% or 14%. Almost without exception, this resulted in a huge tax liability around April 15.
But if you're really to be treated as an independent contractor, it is YOU who will decide when to work--hours, days, etc.; YOU who will decide how to do the work needed. All the agency can tell you is, We need this result for this patient. HOW you do the work, When you do the work, Whom you hire to help you--is entirely up to you, and cannot be dictated by the agency.
This just does not seem to be a workable arrangement for an agency using a relatively new CNA graduate.
You know, of course, that an employer (=, you're an employee) withholds 7.65% of gross pay for Social Seurity. (It's slightly more complicated than this, but this is the basic situation.) Unless you have worked in this (tax) field, you may not realize that the employer must pay an employment tax of an additional 7.65% of gross pay. That is, 7.65% gets withheld from your pay, but the employer pays in a total of 15.3%.
If you're an independent contractor, YOU get to pay in the entire 15.3% (with a minor deduction)--and none of this will be withheld anywhere.
BIG sticky situation, potentially.
Go see a tax preparer, for a 15-minute explanation, before proceeding.