CCU vs. CVICURegister Today!
- by NsgTiger Sep 16, '03I was just hoping someone could explain the difference b/w CCU and CVICU. I figured a cardiac ICU was just that; how is it differentiated b/w CCU and CVICU? I am looking to apply for an internship and of the 5 ICU's at the facility there is a CCU and a CVICU. Hope I am making sense, I am a bit sleep deprived at the moment. Thanks for you input! :kiss
- 33,460 Views
- Sep 17, '03 by jenadoxHello!
CVICU is for post CABG patients. Where I work, they will also take thoracotomies as overflow occasionally. CCU gets all of the acute MIs, flash pulmonary edema, post arrests from the floors, temporary pacers, PTCAs, pericardial windows, and those types of fun things. In the hospital where I moonlight with an agency, there is only a CCU and a SICU. The CABGs go to SICU. Hope that clears it up for you. Let us know what you decide about your internship! Good luck!
- Sep 18, '03 by pinkfloydfreaksome hospitals call their CVICU, CTCU (cardio-thoracic critical-care unit). for post CABG and other cardio thoracic surgeries.
- Sep 18, '03 by zambeziOurs is a mixed CCU. We take the AMIs, pulm edema, heart caths with intervention, CABGS, codes from the floor, pacers, and pretty much anything else heart related! All of the thoracotomies/AAAs etc go to ICU for some reason, though that might change as we are trying to send our uncomplicated, nonMI heart cath interventions directly to the stepdown unit where they can pull the line.
- Sep 18, '03 by NsgTigerAhhh.... I see. Thanks for the info!
- Sep 18, '03 by batmikOur CCU stands for Critical Care Unit. At one time we had CCU( coronary care unit) and ICU(intensive care unit) They combine some 12 yrs ago.
- Oct 15, '03 by vaughanmkOUr CCu get any fresth CABG, major MI's, and and caths with the sheath still in. Typically the stepdown unit gets the uncomplicated CABG's 1 day out, any cath without a sheath, fresh pm, acute mi, and cp.
- Apr 15, '08 by winwinsituationI just recieved my preceptor assignment to the CVICU!!!!!! I'm very excited! Any suggestions for topics and/or equipment I should
reacquaint myself with prior to jumping right in?????
- Apr 17, '08 by ICUCoOLWaTERHi i think u got the answer for ur question am here jsut to sharewith u some facts. In Both places it is gonna be aroutine practice as u go along it is exciting when u r learning but then to me i felt board very fast coz am hyperactive hate routine Loves ICU. but my services is required more in CVICU since i got the potientials to be a team leader their. Wish u all the best
- Apr 17, '08 by Jedi of ZenProbably a dumb question, but what does CABG stand for?