- 0Sep 1, '03 by Nrs. LaLa-LandPlease tell me that nursing school is nothing like the real nursing world! I can't believe all the hoops we have to jump through to succeed!
- 2,742 Views
- 0Sep 1, '03 by GenistaYou'll have a few hoops to jump through after you're an RN as well. But, no nursing school isn't like the real world of nursing. Keep in mind, you are brand new, so the stress of learning so many new things and having to meet so many goals factors in.
But also know that once you graduate, you will probably experience "reality shock." Hopefully, your instructors will bring in some guest speakers and talk to you about this at some point.
The first 6 mos-1 year as a new nurse are very eye opening (at least for me, they were).
Right now you are in nursing school, and that's enough to focus on. Pat yourself on the back for each hoop you jump. I know it seems like a hassle, but it's part of the process. We all did it too. Hang in there. Try to keep a positive outlook.You can do it.
- 0Sep 1, '03 by Nrs. LaLa-LandThanks for the encouragement. I am in my last semester of an ADN program and I know they are just trying to weed out the people who they don't think will make it. But in clinical, the nurses always say..."Oh, you won't be doing that in the real world." And I think to myself, then why are we doing it? I will be in the real world in 6 mos...YIKES! I really appreciate the advice and as you know, it seems impossible to get through nursing school without lots of support. Thank-you kona2!
- 0Oct 22, '03 by SJSU_MamiYou know what? I read a lot of posts from nurses around the country, and I think in California we are treated so much better and have higher recognition in our profession. Some of the complaints they have are things I never hear about here.. Just be positive and have fun. Everybody likes to talk about bad stuff.. just because it stirs up emotions...Its true that learning doesn't end with school.. No way you learn everything you need to know in class.. You never stop learning and new grad programs are really great.. If you have what it takes you'll love it.. Take care
- 0Oct 25, '03 by sjoe"Please tell me that nursing school is nothing like the real nursing world! I can't believe all the hoops we have to jump through to succeed"
The reality is that after school it is just a different bunch of hoops, many of which are designed to suit administrators and clerks rather than to help patients or (last on the list) nurses.
- 0Nov 10, '03 by pugluvnrnI still have nightmares about nursing school!
Even though I did well, I was always anxious and nervous and some of the teachers were on such power trips.
However, if you go from your ADN for your BSN it is soooo different! The teachers at the university I went to were so supportive and really treated all of us as professionals.
I am getting my Masters and NP now and unfortunately I see a little of that nursing school angst on the horizon!
However, I agree - working as a nurse isn't nearly as awful as nursing school-I work with a friend I went to school with and we laugh about it all the time