I'm thinking of moving to southern CA (6+ yrs. LPN/LVN experience)Register Today!
- by brown eyed girl Jun 14, '12Well, what about if you have 6 1/2 YRS of experience all in ltc/rehab? I'm thinking of taking the chance of moving to socal with a relative who lived there in the recent past who isn't in the medical field.
- Jun 14, '12 by brown eyed girlI'm a LPN who was IV certified during initial licensure in Ohio then recertified here in GA while working for a large regional healthcare organization.
- Jun 14, '12 by futurenurse310@ Brown eyed girl, With that much experience working as an LVN I am pretty sure it won't be THAT bad for you. Some places that I went in person to apply at seemed like they might have been interested in hiring me, but then asked me where I previously worked and how many years I have in, and when I told them I was new and had less than a year then they pretty much had a "oh darn, nevermind" look to them.
- Jun 14, '12 by brown eyed girlWhat is the going rate of pay these days in each setting? I know rent is crazy expensive! LOL! I only have a car payment and NO BABIES!
- Jun 16, '12 by futurenurse310You can expect 20-23 at an LTC. Not too sure about hospitals
- Jun 16, '12 by brown eyed girlSo, how does one "live" if lpn's only make 18/hr?
- Jun 16, '12 by brown eyed girl20-23 isn't too bad at a ltc depending on the acuity of the pts.
- Jun 24, '12 by lovemy3boysQuote from brown eyed girlSo are you renting or moving in with your relative?So, how does one "live" if lpn's only make 18/hr?
If renting, look for a place in an decent neighborhood that has not so decent schools since you dont have children because houses in 'good' school zones tend to be more expensive. (I'm assuming you don't want to live in a 'dangerous' place!) and as futurenurse310 said with experience you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job!
Good luck in your move to Cali!
- Jun 25, '12 by brown eyed girlHoney, I don't even know what area is decent! LOL! It is my preference to live in a suburban area with LOTS OF CONVENIENCE! Somewhere where the ACTUAL DRIVE is LESS than 15min. I've heard the traffic situation is WORSE than here in Atlanta. Does any area come to mind??? I'm also a sucker for farmers mkts and specialty food mkts.
- Jun 25, '12 by lovemy3boysHAHA! True! Do you have any idea where in southern Cali you want to go? Once you have a job lined up you can go to www.city-data.com to look up the area/surrounding areas of the city you get a job in. They have forums about different cities and neighborhoods about what is a good area and what is not so good.