Hospital w/ advanced burn unit????Register Today!
- by SDNEWGIRL Apr 23, '08Hello Everyone-
I am currently in nursing school and when I graduate my passion is to work in a burn unit. But, where are they in the states? I want to specialize in this field, where should I be looking?? I would really appreciate any feedback.
- May 4, '08 by NervousRNSaint Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco
- May 4, '08 by suzanne4Most large cities have burn units. You just need to check out your area.
Most are going to require some floor or unit experience first as most patients that arrive are critically ill and on ventilators with multiple drips infusing.
- May 9, '08 by alexbrownHi SDNEWGIRL here I've collected some links which may help you out :
- May 22, '08 by sunshine202Gainesville, FL has a verified burn center @ Shands at the University of Florida. Check out their website. I am a new nurse working in the BICU and the staff is amazing. Good luck with school!
- Jun 2, '08 by svanekThe American Burn Association has a list of all the Verified Burn Centers. Not all Burn Centers are verified, but this is a good place to start. Good Luck.
- Oct 16, '08 by land27If your looking to go right into a burn unit from nursing school I would suggest looking for a hospital that integrates the SICU with the burn unit. I was hired directly out of nursing school into the SICU at Ohio State University Medical Center. I never intended to become a burn nurse but was slowly exposed to it by taking assignments with more stable burn patients. As time went by I naturally grew into the role as a burn nurse with the support and education of the SICU management, CNS, and experianced burn nurses.
- Jan 15, '11 by FSU_NOLEGIRL_RNTampa General Hospital Regional burn center and icu
- Jan 15, '11 by Made2CareVanderbilt University Medical Center
- Jan 16, '11 by ORRocksRNLegacy Emanuel in Portland, Oregon