Sep 19, '11
What kinds of things do you do in an inner city CHC? Sounds interesting.
As an aside, probably the weirdest thing (among many weird things) was when a farmer called us about this strange illness that had popped up at one of his labor camps, with the workers covered in these purple dots. The medical director, my supervisor, all the nurses were putting our heads together trying to figure out what the heck this strange disease could be that caused purple pustules all over people's bodies. The supe was about *thisclose* to calling some state public health folks to go take a look at these guys when one of them fessed up to buying some gentian violet (very common folk remedy in Mexico, available in Mexican stores if you know who to ask) and painting everyone who'd gotten......chicken pox.
Last edit by ElvishDNP on Sep 19, '11
Mar 4, '12
I've published at AN much information on The National Nursing Centers Consortium
--Nurse Managed Health Centers.
Philadelphia area has 15 centers run by Nurse Practioners, more FQHC than any other area of the country.
This 2004 report outlines services provided: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY AND OVERVIEW The Nursing Center ...
Diagnoses and Services in Nurse-Managed Health Centers:
• Preventive Health constituted the largest diagnostic category, followed by
Reproductive Health and Behavioral Health.
• Among Urban, Suburban, and Migrant centers, analysis revealed
Behavioral Health to be the most frequent health disparity diagnosis,
followed by Hypertension, Diabetes, Asthma, and Obesity.
• Asthma-related diagnoses represented 32% of all Pulmonary diagnoses;
Hypertension represented 77% of all Cardiovascular diagnoses; and
Diabetes 69% and Obesity 25% of all Metabolic diagnoses.
• At the Rural Center, the top three diagnoses were Respiratory-related, Hypertension, and Diabetes.
Implications: Health disparities are prevalent among vulnerable populations.
Since the uninsured and underinsured populations are affected most significantly by health disparities, the NNCC considered the health conditions associated with these disparities in the analysis. The evaluation found that nurse-managed health centers serve a population impacted by health disparities and perform a broad range of diagnoses and procedures, many of which address health disparities directly...
Enabling Services in Nurse-Managed Health Centers:
• One hundred percent of nurse-managed health centers provided health
education and environmental health risk reduction;
89% provided outreach, transportation, interpretation and translation services, and eligibility assistance;
78% provided home visiting and case-management; and 67% provided parenting education.
• Other services include: discharge planning; nursing home placement; and special education. Additionally, the health centers offer services such as summer camp, grand parenting education, food assistance, blood pressure and stroke screening, adolescent support groups, family planning, dentistry, podiatry, prenatal care, and fitness and nutrition programs.
Find a Nurse-Managed Health Center
HRSA - Find a Health Center - Search Page
Last edit by NRSKarenRN on Mar 4, '12