SSN a requirement for nclex in california? - page 2

Hi, I'm planning to take the nclex in california. I am still on the process of applying. I just read in the application form that I need a social security number. I only have a tourist visa and I'm... Read More

  1. by   Silverdragon102
    No agency can get a SSN for you just to sot the exam, the requirements for a US SSN is legal residency for the US or you are required to file US taxes
  2. by   Ginger's Mom
    Social Security Number

    Social Security Number Requirements for a Driver License or Identification Card
    Why collect SSN?

    The California Vehicle Code (VC) requires the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to collect your social security number (SSN). (VC 1653.5[a][b], 12800[a], 12801)
    Federal law also allows any state to use a person's SSN for the purpose of establishing his/her identification. (42 U.S.C. 405 [c][2][C][i])
    SSN Verification

    All applicants for a driver license and/or identification (DL/ID) card must submit his/her social security number to DMV. DMV electronically verifies your SSN, name, and birth date with the Social Security Administration (SSA) while you are in the DMV office. This process adds to the accuracy, reliability, and integrity of DMV’s database. The name and birth date you provide on your driver license and/or identification card application must match the name and birth date the SSA has for you in its database.
    If the information you give DMV does not match SSA’s database, you will not be issued a DL/ID card. You will receive a Request for Verification of Information letter from DMV informing you that the information you provided (name, birth date, and/or SSN) does not match SSA’s records. You will need to go to a local SSA office to correct the information SSA has on its database so that the information on both DMV’s and SSA’s databases match.
    Application Requirements

    You may not start a noncommercial Class A, B, or C license application or an ID card application without providing an SSN to DMV. You do not need to show your SSN card or any other visual verification of your SSN to apply for a noncommercial driver license or an ID card.
    Visual verification of your social security number is required only on original commercial driver license applications and for any request to correct a SSN that is already on the driver record database, regardless of your driver license class.
    Verification Documents

    The only documents acceptable for visual verification of your SSN are originals of the following:

    • An unlaminated Social Security Card
    • A Medicare card
    • A United States Armed Forces ID card:
      • Active-DD form 2*
      • Retired-DD form 2*
      • Reserve-DD form 2*
      • Dependent-DD form 1173

    • Military separation document-DD form 214 (original copy)

    * Letters following the number "2" indicate the specific branch of service.
    How Do I Know if I’m Eligible for a SSN?

    All customers applying for an original DL/ID card must provide evidence of legal presence in the United States as authorized under federal law.

    • If you were born in the United States (U.S.) or become a U.S. citizen, you are eligible for an SSN, and must provide it to DMV.
    • If you are not a U.S. citizen, but in the United States legally and authorized to work, you are eligible for an SSN, and must provide it to DMV.
    • If you are not a U.S. citizen, but in the United States legally and are not authorized to work, you are not eligible for an SSN.

    If you are legally present in the U.S., but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from the DMV SSN requirement. You may start an application for a noncommercial driver license or ID card, and once your eligibility status is verified, DMV will complete your application. You must still provide an acceptable Birth Date/Legal Presence document for any future DL/ID card application or provide a valid SSN. You may not start an original Commercial Class A, B, or C application until DMV visually verifies your SSN.
    What Do I Do if I Have Changed My Name?

    Please contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to change your name on SSA records before you make an appointment with DMV to have your name changed on DMV records. DMV electronically verifies your name, birth date and social security number with the SSA.
    If your information does not verify, DMV will not be able to change your name on your driver license and/ or identification card. You will receive a Request for Verification of Information letter from DMV informing you that the information you provided (name, birth date, and/or SSN) does not match SSA’s records.
    If you have changed your name since your last renewal, you will need to visit your local SSA office to correct your name on SSA’s database before you visit DMV to renew your DL/ID card and have your name changed at the same time.
    You will need to provide DMV with evidence of your name change. Acceptable evidence of your new name may be provided by showing an original or certified copy of a Birth Date/Legal Presence document or a true full name document. Visit the DMV website at for the list of acceptable Birth Date/Legal Presence or true full name documents.

    Sorry no SSN or temp SSN, you must be legally be able to work in the USA. No agency in the a foreign country can issue a social security card. Any other work around is illegal.
  3. by   missy0090
    If you are from the Philippines and want a california license, i want to share this to you...i don't want you anyone to experience what i had...took nclex exam for cali 2006 (they didn't ask those many stuffs during that time,only the forms, tor and breakdown) ..i just got here in the US dec 2012, got my SSN and green card... i've actually had my cali result endorsed to az on 2009 coz i wanted to make certain that i won't need to take nclex again coz they wrote it on the bottom that w/o my ssn, they would destroy my file in 3 years, so i have an az license point is, if i haven't taken nclex for cali, i'm sure they would have never said i could get licensed there coz i received a letter which was for my cali license endorsement application to get my az license endorsed to california..the letter stated i need to submit all those registration forms from 2001-2005, clinical and class schedules, clinical rotation plans, and so on..the list they sent made me felt that it was hopeless..i've talked to too many of their agents for cali board of nursing these past few days jan 2013, they have given me a lot of other things to was so confusing, they had different answers..Thank God, i didn't give up, finally, i was at one time connected to the evaluator on jan 29, she told me that i can have my file rebuilt and that i could get my license issued without submitting an almost 'too detailed BSN education history" .....ive had several of my classmates who are already here and they said most of those they know who had a licensure by endorsement or licensure exam were denied because of the concurrency problem..spare yourself the headache...get licensed somewhere else and just to be frank, i don't think it would also be easy for another license from another state to be endorsed to cali coz of those things i've stated above that they'd want you to submit...just take it from me, an nclex cali passer but i had so much difficulty with it, what more if i didn't take the exam for them?