Future nursing from UK to USA - page 2

Okay, so I'm about to begin doing my BA (Hons) Nursing Degree in the UK but my life long ambition is to nurse in Texas (Dallas area). I know I need to do my degree and the NCLEX test but what else do I need to know in order to... Read More

  1. 0
    Check with the BON in the state that you want to get a license in.They should have an outline of how many hours in each area are needed.

    Get the hottest topics every week!

    Subscribe to our free Nursing Insights newsletter.

  2. 0
    So your Dad is not a permanent resident? You can't get over based on the work visa (unless it allows for dependents), but if he ever does become a permanent resident, he can petition you.

    If you are under 21 (F2A), the wait time is about 2.5 years (they are allowing folks from Feb 15, 2010 applications), and if you're over 21 (F2B), it's about 8 years.


    There are intricate rules about when you apply vs when you're approved for the cut-off age (something like your age can be frozen in time as long as you apply before you're 21, but they might have changed the rules), and I would highly recommend visajourney.com and look under the forum, "family members of permanent residents" which can help answer all those questions.

    Of course, if the economy picks up, the visa retrogression for nurses may pick up as well. Or, if you marry a US citizen or a US permanent resident, you could get permission to live/work that way.

    Good luck! I am an American nurse and married a born/raised Brit. I recently got my nursing registration with the NMC and while it was a lot of headaches, I didn't need to go through nearly as much as you guys, let alone take a test! Keep us posted on how things go.
  3. 1
    Definitely check with the university but the clinical and theory hours must show on your transcripts at the end of your training when you graduate. and the time waiting for a immigrant visa ie 6 plus years doesn't start until your employer files I140 for immigrant visa and most employers will require eligibility to sit NCLEX or have passed NCLEX. So on top of your training is where you need to add on the extra years.

    I don't think your father can apply for you until he is a USC and depending whether his work is willing to go that route ie for him to apply for a greencard and obtain permanent residency and then apply to be a citizen you will be well over the age of 21 years

    My suggestion is keep an eye on what is happening with immigration and retrogression and once you have graduated look at what is happening and whether retrogression is still in progress
    loriangel14 likes this.
  4. 0
    Yes SD has made an excellent point. The hours in peds,OB and mental health will have to be shown clearly on the transcript or they won't count.
  5. 0
    Hi Silverdragon,

    Permanent Residents *can* petition children, whether they are under/over the age of 21. If you look at the Department of State Visa Bulletin, you'll see this on the link that I posted. They only allow a certain number of people to be able to get a visa number each month, which is why there can be a wait. The OP would qualify under F2A or F2B if her Dad becomes a PR. Additionally, he can petition for the OP as a PR and then later upgrade the petition to change the waiting times when/if he becomes a citizen (you can be a dual Brit/American citizen).

    oh- And OP if you want your Dad to petition you this way, you can't be married (until you get over here, then you could get married and then petition them over).

    First: (F1) Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers not required for fourth preference.
    Second: Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents: 114,200, plus the number (if any) by which the worldwide family preference level exceeds 226,000, plus any unused first preference numbers:
    A. (F2A) Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents: 77% of the overall second preference limitation, of which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit;
    B. (F2B) Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older) of Permanent Residents: 23% of the overall second preference limitation.
    Third: (F3) Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens: 23,400, plus any numbers not required by first and second preferences.
    Fourth: (F4) Brothers and Sisters of Adult U.S. Citizens: 65,000, plus any numbers not required by first three preferences.
  6. 0
    BabyRN the OP says there father is on a work visa so I don't think this will be accepted because work visa I believe doesn't qualify as PR
  7. 0
    That's also why I said, "if he becomes a PR." Depending on the work situation, you can get an employer to sponsor a green card. Or it's possible he qualifies as a son of a PR (if grand parents over there or a sibling) or gets married to a USC.
  8. 0
    The lengthy visa process time is the least of your problems, it is a very rare occurance for US hospitals to recruit overseas nurses now, I passed my NCLEX 4 years ago and my original job offer was withdrawn because of retrogression, so 5 years on from starting the emigration process we are no further forward than the day I passed my test because I am yet to secure a job offer to allow us to move onto the next stage of applying for a visa
  9. 0
    Unfortunately I am over 21 by a fair few years now lol so I'm left to do this on my own although he has applied for his Greenland. I will definitely keep an eye on everything and more so once I graduate. I know it's going to take a fair few years but I WILL get there eventually...thank y'all for all your advice and info, it is extremely helpful
  10. 0
    You should apply for family based visa as soon as he gets his greencard, with the way things are for nurses, it may be a quicker route!

Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and Create Job Alerts, Manage Your Resume, and Apply for Jobs.

A Big Thank You To Our Sponsors