Future nursing from UK to USA - page 2

Okay, so I'm about to begin doing my BA (Hons) Nursing Degree in the UK but my life long ambition is to nurse in Texas (Dallas area). I know I need to do my degree and the NCLEX test but what else do... Read More

  1. by   loriangel14
    Yes SD has made an excellent point. The hours in peds,OB and mental health will have to be shown clearly on the transcript or they won't count.
  2. by   babyNP.
    Hi Silverdragon,

    Permanent Residents *can* petition children, whether they are under/over the age of 21. If you look at the Department of State Visa Bulletin, you'll see this on the link that I posted. They only allow a certain number of people to be able to get a visa number each month, which is why there can be a wait. The OP would qualify under F2A or F2B if her Dad becomes a PR. Additionally, he can petition for the OP as a PR and then later upgrade the petition to change the waiting times when/if he becomes a citizen (you can be a dual Brit/American citizen).

    oh- And OP if you want your Dad to petition you this way, you can't be married (until you get over here, then you could get married and then petition them over).

    First: (F1) Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers not required for fourth preference.
    Second: Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents: 114,200, plus the number (if any) by which the worldwide family preference level exceeds 226,000, plus any unused first preference numbers:
    A. (F2A) Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents: 77% of the overall second preference limitation, of which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit;
    B. (F2B) Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older) of Permanent Residents: 23% of the overall second preference limitation.
    Third: (F3) Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens: 23,400, plus any numbers not required by first and second preferences.
    Fourth: (F4) Brothers and Sisters of Adult U.S. Citizens: 65,000, plus any numbers not required by first three preferences.
  3. by   Silverdragon102
    BabyRN the OP says there father is on a work visa so I don't think this will be accepted because work visa I believe doesn't qualify as PR
  4. by   babyNP.
    That's also why I said, "if he becomes a PR." Depending on the work situation, you can get an employer to sponsor a green card. Or it's possible he qualifies as a son of a PR (if grand parents over there or a sibling) or gets married to a USC.
  5. by   AZ hopeful
    The lengthy visa process time is the least of your problems, it is a very rare occurance for US hospitals to recruit overseas nurses now, I passed my NCLEX 4 years ago and my original job offer was withdrawn because of retrogression, so 5 years on from starting the emigration process we are no further forward than the day I passed my test because I am yet to secure a job offer to allow us to move onto the next stage of applying for a visa
  6. by   mflight1983
    Unfortunately I am over 21 by a fair few years now lol so I'm left to do this on my own although he has applied for his Greenland. I will definitely keep an eye on everything and more so once I graduate. I know it's going to take a fair few years but I WILL get there eventually...thank y'all for all your advice and info, it is extremely helpful
  7. by   AZ hopeful
    You should apply for family based visa as soon as he gets his greencard, with the way things are for nurses, it may be a quicker route!
  8. by   babyNP.
    I second AZ Hopeful's suggestion. As soon as he gets the card, he should put in the paperwork. Even if you apply for a nursing visa later, it doesn't affect it because you can have multiple petitions going. If he decides to be a USC in 5 years after, he can also upgrade the petition as well. But you can't get married during the time processing (although you can get married after).

    It's currently an 8 year wait for unmarried sons/daughters of permanent residents (F2B category)

    We are going to apply for DH's sister (a Brit) as soon as he gets citizenship next year. She may not want to come (the wait is 10 years for siblings of US citizens), but anything can happen in 10 years and it'd be nice for her to have the option.
  9. by   mflight1983
    On a plus side, i do know people willing and in a good position to sponsor me
  10. by   Silverdragon102
    Quote from mflight1983
    On a plus side, i do know people willing and in a good position to sponsor me
    That is good however still have to wait several years for immigration visa allowing you to live and work. Sometimes better to put eggs in a few baskets and not rely on one
  11. by   mflight1983
    That's what I thought too
  12. by   British Bulldog
    Quote from mflight1983
    Okay, so I'm about to begin doing my BA (Hons) Nursing Degree in the UK but my life long ambition is to nurse in Texas (Dallas area). I know I need to do my degree and the NCLEX test but what else do I need to know in order to make this life long dream of mine a reality? I know my degree is going to take 3 years but what sort of time scale am I looking at for this to make it actually happen?

    Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated

    Many thanks
    I studied in London and I had to "upgrade" my degree to be able to qualify to sit for the NCLEX-RN in California.

    I was lucky to have come in contact with an agency that put me in touch with a program at City University. It is a kind of bridge program that helps you make up the hours you need.

    Good luck and let me know how it goes.
    Last edit by Silverdragon102 on Aug 30, '12 : Reason: pm to member
  13. by   misswoosie
    have you thought about doing your BSN in the USA?
    It's much easier (as baby RN said) to get a RN license in the UK having trained in the USA than vice versa.
    Additionally you will probably be entitled to OPT- which is a period after your degree ends when you are entitled to work in order to gain practical experience.
    Not sure if this would make it any easier to get a visa though. You would at least be able to sit NCLEX though and get some exp to put on resume. 6 months experience wouldn't be enough, however, to qualify for most positions that require a BSN as that's usually at least 2 yrs. I say this because in order to get a temporary non-immigrant work visa the job has to require a BSN.
    In the meantime maybe your father will get his LPR and be able to sponsor you, OR you might meet an American man , or you could register in the UK and get some nursing experience there.

    As SD says- don't put all your eggs in one basket. We tried one route (through nursing) and still have around 15 months to wait for my GC, but got here through husband getting a Masters degree and work visa. He is now also applying for GC-but EB-2 which until recently was "current" ie no wait except for processing times. GC for non-nursing has longer processing times due to the PERM DOL requirement.
    Unfortunately, despite the fact that I have a Job offer, I'm not allowed to work.

    Just out of interest it's worth mentioning that one of the best and easiest ways to get to the USA is with an intercompany transfer visa ie you work for a company in your home company as a "manager" and they transfer you to one of their locations in the USA.
    They apply for an L1 visa for you -or the company may have "blanket cover" for certain job titles.
    There are no limits on visa numbers available, no educational requirements, and no PERM requirement and spouses are allowed to work.
    If you meet the criteria then when you apply for GC you automatically go into EB-1 category-which never has a backlog.

    Most companys that do this are IT ,engineering, scientific/clinical/pharmaceutical research etc, but with any company who has a presence in the UK and UK it's a possibility.

    100s of 1000s of people get visas like this every year, however most are from India and China.

    If someone is really serious about getting LPR in shortest possible time via employment and hasn't yet embarked on training for a career, then I would be looking at something like this.