Can I take CA license for endorse to CO?

  1. hi everybody,
    my name is nut.i used to be thai nurse. i graduated bsn& msn from thaitand. i live in co almost year. i got married with u.s. citizen so i don't need visa to live hare. i would like to work as a nurse in co but i don't want to waste my time(+ money ) to get cgfns verification (co bon request for ces course -by-course). my friend who live in california told me ca bon not request for cgfns. it 's pretty easier than here right? i already translated tnc license& transcript in english. i would like to know what should i do? please advice me
    can i take an nclex examination for ca license for endorsing to co? did they take long time to do that after pass nclex-rn? can i endorse to co immediately after i pass nclex and get ca license already?
    thank you so much for your kindness
    Last edit by one&onlynurse on Sep 29, '05
  2. Visit one&onlynurse profile page

    About one&onlynurse

    Joined: Sep '05; Posts: 4


  3. by   NRSKarenRN
    [color=#999966]licensure as a registered or practical nurse
    colorado has a mandatory nurse practice act which means that no one may practice professional (rn) or practical (pn) nursing without a colorado license or temporary permit. there are two ways to become licensed, by examination and by endorsement.

    you should apply for a license by examination if:
    • you have completed a state approved professional nursing or practical nursing educational program and do not hold a license in another state or u.s. territory.
    • you were educated outside the u.s. or its territories, and are not licensed in another state or territory. however, you must first contact the commission on graduates of foreign nursing schools (cgfns) to request the credentials review titled healthcare profession and science course-by-course report. more information for foreign-trained nurses can be found in this information sheet.
    [color=#ff0080]for the nclex test plan,[color=#ff0080] frequently asked questions, and other resources, visit the national council of state boards of nursing (ncbsn) testing servicessite.
    you may apply for rn or lpn licensure by endorsement if y
    ou are licensed as a registered nurse or practical nurse in another state or u.s. territory.

    california board of registered nursing (brn)
    the primary objective of the board of registered nursing's (brn's) licensure requirements is to ensure consumer protection by determining that individuals possess the knowledge and qualifications necessary to competently and safely practice registered nursing.

    if you wish to apply for rn licensure by examination and are a first-time candidate, click:

    licensure by examination
    all applicants must provide the following:
    appropriate fees.

    completed application for licensure by examination.

    completed fingerprints using either the live scan process or the applicant fingerprint card (hard card) processing method as directed in the instructions for submitting fingerprint cards. submit the appropriate nonrefundable total fee as directed on the application fee schedule.

    one recent 2" x 2" passport-type photograph.

    completed request for accommodation of disabilities form(s), if applicable.

    request for transcript form(s) completed and forwarded directly from the nursing school(s) with certified transcripts.

    if applicable, documents and/or letters explaining prior convictions or disciplinary action and attesting to your rehabilitation as directed in section ii of the general information and instructions.

    in addition for international graduates:

    a. send breakdown of educational program for international nursing programs form to your school with the request for transcript form. also provide the certified english translation form to your certified translator if your transcript is not in english. (see supplemental application instructions for international graduates.)

    b. submit a copy of your license or diploma that allows you to practice professional nursing in the country where you were educated. if you do not hold a license, a written explanation is required. also, provide copies of your certificates for midwifery and psychiatric nursing, if applicable.

    p.s.: need to have social security number.
  4. by   suzanne4
    California will actually take you longer than going thru the process of Colorado for licensure. There are no issues with endorsing to Colorado once you have your CA license, but be aware that if can take several weeks for you to even get your result from the NCLEX exam.........

    I do not recommend CA for initial licensure.....................Where did you attend school in Thailand? I used to teach nurses over there..........
  5. by   one&onlynurse
    Hi there....
    NRSKarenRN Thank a lot for your kindness

    Sawaddee Suzanne ka Nice to here from you. I try to know other nurse in here. I only know Thai nusre in CA. I need to learn more about nursing in U.S. I hope you 'll give me good advice if I have some question again. Where did you used to teach nurse in Thailand? BKK or Pronurse? I graduated BSN from Borromratjonanee Sawanpracharak College of Nursing, Nakonsawan province and MSN (major in Medical-surgical nursing) from Chang Mai University....kah.

    Thank you so sooooo much again
  6. by   suzanne4
    Definitely not ProNurse, they are actually out of business, and none of thier students passed their exams. Many of their students trained with BKK.
  7. by   FredJr
    Hi Suzanne, I have some queries. I'm also planning to apply for an endorsement to CO but the problem is I haven't gotten my license because I don't have a SSN because I'm a foreign nurse. I'm CA NCLEX passer and already have a visa screen certificate which will expire this May 2012. DO you know how long will the process be if I apply to CO and are there any requirements like I can use my Visa Screen there? Hope to hear from your reply. Thank you