Jump to content

Which pathway is more likely to gain admission

NP Students   (244 Views | 5 Replies)

1,850 Profile Views; 72 Posts

I'm hoping maybe there's some admissions committee folks on here or folks with intimate knowledge of candidate selection.. 

At the conclusion of next semester I will have completed all of the pre-reqs to apply to a well respected Direct-Entry FNP program (brick and mortar school).

Conversely, I've completed the pre-requisite courses and scored high enough on the HESI a2 in order to likely gain admission into a local paramedic to RN program.  My plan would be to finish the RN program and then apply to the traditional FNP pathway.

While option 2 is "cleaner", I worry that applying to the traditional track with 0 RN experience (20 years paramedic experience) will put me at a disadvantage.. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

verene is a MSN and specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

1,566 Posts; 9,930 Profile Views

I would apply to both - see which you are accepted to, weigh financial aid, and program cultures, look at pros/cons for your specific situation and goals, and then make a decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

72 Posts; 1,850 Profile Views

If anyone is interested - I got word back from their recruitment folks who said I would not be at a disadvantage by applying directly after finishing RN

This means the pathway that works the best with my schedule (medic to RN, then NP) will be the one I'll be taking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

umbdude has 3 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Psych/Mental Health.

2 Followers; 964 Posts; 14,408 Profile Views

21 hours ago, FiremedicMike said:

If anyone is interested - I got word back from their recruitment folks who said I would not be at a disadvantage by applying directly after finishing RN

This means the pathway that works the best with my schedule (medic to RN, then NP) will be the one I'll be taking.

 

I don't think so either. A lot of people start NP school shortly after getting their RN license. I started NP school 9 months after I graduated with a BSN. Also, most students who go the traditional route work as a RN while in NP school (not so much for experience but for money).

I do think you should apply to both. In my personal opinion, with 20 years of medic experience you're better off with Direct-Entry (get it done with). I just think medics can rock nursing school...not just with hands-on skills but critical thinking as well. You will stand out in a good way among Direct-Entry folks, most of whom either have zero patient-care experience or irrelevant ones (like volunteering).

Good luck!

Edited by umbdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

72 Posts; 1,850 Profile Views

9 hours ago, umbdude said:

I don't think so either. A lot of people start NP school shortly after getting their RN license. I started NP school 9 months after I graduated with a BSN. Also, most students who go the traditional route work as a RN while in NP school (not so much for experience but for money).

I do think you should apply to both. In my personal opinion, with 20 years of medic experience you're better off with Direct-Entry (get it done with). I just think medics can rock nursing school...not just with hands-on skills but critical thinking as well. You will stand out in a good way among Direct-Entry folks, most of whom either have zero patient-care experience or irrelevant ones (like volunteering).

Good luck!

I appreciate the vote of confidence!

 

Unfortunately the DE program is not going to work out.  I was able to get ahold of someone at their program and it looks like it's 2-4 days per week depending on the semester.  I was hoping I could get the department to work with me on 1-2 days, but 2-4 will be insurmountable.

Option 2 becomes the only feasible one.  The medic to RN will be 5 semesters which can be done all at night and on the weekend, at which point I can apply to the same NP school that runs the DE program, but now I can apply to the traditional entry, part-time, online program.. 

It'll take a bit longer, but I can keep working and get my pension to 25 years, which is key..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

umbdude has 3 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Psych/Mental Health.

2 Followers; 964 Posts; 14,408 Profile Views

4 minutes ago, FiremedicMike said:

It'll take a bit longer, but I can keep working and get my pension to 25 years, which is key..

I see. That makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.