Any one done LPN to RN thru Excelsior?

  1. I was considering this option because local school clinical schedules are not at all flexible. I would like to keep my current job while in school and I was thinking that this might be a good option. Your input would be vary helpful, I don't want to waste my time or money. your input is appreciated.
  2. Visit DC+ profile page

    About DC+

    Joined: Jun '06; Posts: 4


  3. by   anticoagulationurse
    I did it. Took me 5 months to do the Nursing Concepts exams (1-7) and 3 months waiting for the Clinical Exam, and then 3 months after passing that before licensed as an RN in Hawaii and Alaska. So, a year. My home is in WA but I am a traveler in AK now in attempt to dodge the red tape WA has on Excelsior students. After I have worked here in AK for 6 weeks I can apply for endorsement of my AK license to WA without any red tape... in theory (I'll believe it when I see that darn WA RN license in my hands, at this point I am a bit jaded about the whole process of dealing with WA BoN). But anyway, it can be done. I am more than willing to offer any advise or share my experiences with you. Just PM me.
  4. by   caliotter3
    DC+ Go for it!! Excelsior is an excellent option! Unfortunately it is becoming more and more limited as time goes on and more states denigrate it in favor of their own impacted, impossible to get accepted to, local nrsg programs!
  5. by   QTMedic4life
    I am working at this now DC+ I am living in Spokane when I am home (In Cali visiting my mom now) but then I will be doing it. Being in Spokane I am going to get my Idaho license first and then work in Idaho and endorse in. Want to talk more about it PM me.

  6. by   anticoagulationurse
    Excelsior students beware, apparently even inquiring directly to your BoN is not a sure fire way to figure out the hurdles of earning an Excelsior education.

    WASHINGTON Excelsior students. The BoN will tell you that you are required to do a 250 hour preceptorship (which they will tell you they don't care if it is paid or not, but seriously, who is going to pay you to be an RN when you haven't been allowed by the BoN to take the boards -Catch 22). You do not have to do this. You must simply apply for the NCLEX for another state and simply endorse your RN license from that state to WA afterward. No preceptorship, no proving you have worked as a nurse in that state for 250 hours. Nothing. Just pay the fees and be done with it. Best wishes to you all, may you learn from my apparently unorthodox way of getting through the (imaginary) hurdles.

    to learn more about my story: