by Coffee Nurse Coffee Nurse, BSN, RN Member Nurse

Specializes in NICU. Has 13 years experience.

Hi all. I'm an RN in the US, about a year and a half post-licensure/registration, toying with the idea of travelling to the UK in the next year or so. I'm a little confused by the different parts of the NMC Register; as a holder of a BSN in the US, is it true that I'm only eligible to apply for adult nursing? I know that NICU is one of the few nursing specialties still on the occupation shortage list (my 1.5 years of experience have all been in a tertiary level NICU), but would I be eligible to take a NICU position as an RNA? If not, what is this "12 month children's nursing course" the NMC mentions, and would I be able to enroll in that as a foreign nurse?

Thanks for any insight!

Coffee Nurse

Coffee Nurse, BSN, RN

Specializes in NICU. Has 13 years experience. 954 Posts

(bump) Anybody? Any help at all?


Specializes in Surgical, quality,management. Has 12 years experience. 1,753 Posts

To become a RNSC (RN sick children)you have to do a further post graduate course. The demand for these courses is quite high I believe so you would have to talk to the universities yourself to see what they can do. Most are affiliated with a children's hospital so you could try googling children's hospitals in England.

I don't think that there is any getting around this requirement, as far as I am aware you need it to be registered as a RNSC. You may be eligible to register as a RGN (Registered General nurse) and work on a peads ward but you need to check out with the NMC re requirements

P.S what do you mean by a RNA??

Best of luck



4 Posts

I am not sure about the NMC bit. However, as an adult nurse you can work on NIC as many adult nurses do. So this should not be a problem.