Recovering travelling nurse with questions - page 2

I'm not new to travelling nursing, but I am under a slightly different situation. First, a little about me. I've been a nurse for almost 25 years, & have worked everthing from psych to ICU. 5 years... Read More

  1. by   theopenroad54
    Hi Pinkmegan. First off, this is not an attempt to diagnose or prescribe treatment for you. Taking anothers inventory is a no-no, and I do not want that responsibilty. I'm not even sure if your talking about addiction. All I can say is, and I know this statement is becoming cliche, but you are not alone. Seek help by whatever means available to you. Find meetings in your area, go to a rehab if possible, seek help at work, although for me, this led to my being fired. Of course, I missed 3 days of work related directly to my addiction, and this had never happened before. It was one of the major catalysts that led to me stepping forward. I just happen to live in a state that feels that the labor force is a "oh well, too bad for you" state. Right to work and all. But hey, it all happens for a reason. Protect yourself as much as possible, but remember, your well-being comes first. Do what you have to do.
  2. by   NedRN
    A mailing address is very different from a tax home. Most agencies will be happy if you falsify your housing questionnaire, some will even coach you how to do that as it saves the money too, and makes them more competitive with agencies advertising more money. The issue is if you get audited for any reason by the IRS and your tax home status is disqualified, you will have some hefty paybacks with fines and interest.
  3. by   elkpark
    Quote from NedRN
    Keeping a rental is a tradeoff. Doing so maintains a tax home, an IRS definition that allows you to accept agency housing tax free. If you don't, you are itinerant and must pay taxes on provided housing or a housing stipend, per diems (tax advantage), and travel pay. It may be better than a wash, especially if it is possible to share your current housing (keeping a bedroom open for returning at any time).
    A permanent home is not just a tax issue, it is also a licensure issue in compact states. The OP's current RN license only has "compact privileges" as long as s/he maintains her/his permanent residence in that state. If s/he moves out of state (or is using an address out of state as a "permanent address"), s/he no longer has a license that can be recognized by other compact states. Something else for the OP to keep in mind.
  4. by   NedRN
    Some perm addresses are legal for compact licensure. That is completely different than an IRS tax home. It is possible to have a tax home in a compact state yet not be eligible for multi-state licensure. It can get complicated. Refer to the board for one question, and a tax professional experienced in multistage taxation for the other.
  5. by   SCRN01
    NedRN is absolutely correct. Travel Agencies will use a dog house as a permanent address if you let them. They don't care if you get audited. They just want to be able to say "look how much money you're going to make now that you have a tax home to claim". I've posted in another thread but talk to the people at TravelTax . We had a similar situation with renting and they helped us a lot to figure out if it would work. BTW, I'm not affiliated with this company. I was just so impressed with how nice they were and how much they helped us. For us, we did have to continue paying rent but in the end, it still saves us $400 us month even after paying rent.

    As far as the dogs, I can tell you traveling would be SO MUCH EASIER without them. But they are part of the family so we don't have an option either. Gotta love em even though they make life harder sometimes. We have 2 dogs just under 20 lbs and there are a lot of apartments that have a 20 lb cutoff as well as a list of aggressive breeds that they don't allow. If you let the travel company pick your apartment, they will likely be able to find one that accepts dogs. It might limit your options and you might not get in an area that you wanted, but you should be ok. We are with American Mobile and haven't had a problem yet. The only issue we had is when we wanted to find an apartment on the beach in Cali. There were plenty available and in our price range but almost every one of them only allowed cats. We finally found one but it must be the only one within 5 miles because I swear every person has a dog here. The view is beautiful, the fleas are less than welcome. But like I said, they are part of the family so these are some of the sacrifices you might have to make.

    You should also check out Travel Nurse Help: Be prepared for your next assignment . They have information on every hospital along with local information like crime statistics, weather, and rental prices in the area. Hope this helps and congrats on cleaning up. Keep it up!
  6. by   RingaLing
    Be advised, from personal experience, if you self-reported to your state and had a contract with them, you have to disclose that action to the BON of the state you want to work in. Your initial action will show on NURSYS--you might want to check with them on their website and see what pops up, because the BON will. Make sure you keep a copy of your initial contract, any revisions, and the letter from your current BON showing completion of your contract. I scanned all this into a PDF, for ease of transmittal to BONs. Also, if you don't currently live in a Nursing Compact state, you might want to consider residence in one. You have to be a resident to get a Multi-State license, but once you get it, you've got 24 states at your fingertips. The catch is that you have to be a resident.

    The most-important take-away....check NURSYS. Don't lie on any app to BONs, it WILL come out when you endorse. Keep every shred of documentation.

    Good luck!