california license problems

  1. Hi all,

    Im a canadian RN, graduated 2 years ago from a university degreee program. Im applying to California so I can do some travel assignments. I still need to write the NCLEX. I got a letter in the mail after sending my transcripts that my psych component was not adequate and they sent me a list of schools so i can get up to speed. Hahahaha. I dont understand why my schooling would not be adequate. Ive talked to a few ppl who have said that California tends to do this, that 2 ppl from the same school, graduating the same time, and one will have problems and one wont. Has anyone encountered this before? If so what do I do? Im going to call them, but is there some kind of appeal process to get them to review my transcripts again. I see no reason why my psych component would be deemed inadequate but it was.

  2. Visit Creamsoda profile page

    About Creamsoda

    Joined: Feb '04; Posts: 737; Likes: 866


  3. by   dijaqrn
    Try another state!!!!!!!!!!
    Or do the psych as suggested. California is tough.............
    Good luck.
  4. by   m_chatelaine
    I am Canadian and I just came to Palm Springs on a travel assignment. YES! it is a HUGE headache to reg with CA. I recommend.
    1) Reg with Minnesota- it takes 1 week to get permission for an NCLEX about $100 Reg. NCLEX is about $400
    2) Start working on CGFNS Visa Screen Certificate (forms to verify education are required) while waiting Reg with MN approx $400.
    3) After passing the NCLEX - results in 2 weeks. Reg with California by endorsement, which is different than most states. It is required to submit 2 fingerprint cards, Fees and forms to verify your education. Apply for a temp card which should arrive in about 4-6 weeks.
    5) The you are off!!!

    This is a huge process to come work in the US. CA is difficult to register with, but keep calling and persuing it and it will all work out. A tip is that when you do ACLS or BLS or PALS try to do them with American Heart Certified institutions or in the US because they are required to work in the US.
    Also if you try to first register with California through licensure by examination it will take from the time you apply 6-7 months till you hear back from them.

    Hope this helps. It is a lot of work, but in the end you will make A LOT MORE MONEY AND PAID WHAT YOU ARE WORTH FOR ONCE!!!:typing :typing