Jump to content

Travel nursing in USA for nurses from Quebec

Jan88 Jan88 (New) New

Hey everyone,

I have been working as a nurse in Quebec for the last 3 years and i am now trying to work as a travel nurse in USA. I keep seeing different informations about the process to do so and would love to have some insight from you!

I spoke with a travel nurse agency and they told me that Maryland would be a good place to start but on the board of nursing's website I think they're saying that I need a social security number...Would my social security number from Canada work?? And if not...how do I get one?

Also, I was wondering is it easy to find contracts? My specialty is obstetrics.

And last question, can someone explain to me how those travel agency work? She told me I didn't have to pay them is that right?

Thank you very much for your time, I feel pretty overwhelmed by all the different informations I keep finding but im also really exciting about all this!!

roser13, ASN, RN

Specializes in Med/Surg, Ortho, ASC. Has 17 years experience.

The Social Security requirement is for a U.S. SSN. I'm not sure how a non-citizen could obtain one. Dual citizenship?

Yes, it is true that you do not pay the agency. The agency charges the facility more than it pays the nurse, then pockets the difference.

Been there,done that, ASN, RN

Has 33 years experience.

Hi Jan, we have many Canadian nurses here in Michigan.

Any reputable travel agency should give you all of the information you need in order to travel nurse.

They make BIG bucks from your hospital contract and should do most of the leg work for you.

Good luck, let us know where you land!