Jump to content

To Good Not To Share

Posted

A friend of mine just called me to say he was selected for CRNA School. He was even called by the Chief Executive Nurse of our hospital to congratulate him on his selection. I was so happy for him as I know how important this was for him and his wife.

But after the congratulatory remarks were delivered he was then asked to come in and cover the unit (he currently is on Christmas Leave with his family) because of staffing issues. Is it me or is that a bit tacky?

But then again that's nursing!

But no matter. Congratulations (you know who you are) and way to go!!!

-HBS

:rolleyes:

P_RN, ADN, RN

Specializes in ORTHOPAEDICS-CERTIFIED SINCE 89. Has 30 years experience.

Sounds like the old "good news/bad news" scenario!

Congrats to your friend on being selected.

jnette, ASN, EMT-I

Specializes in Hemodialysis, Home Health. Has 10 years experience.

Perhaps it was just a decoy........ he might be walking into a big SUPRISE (!) party on the unit !!!

Very pleased for your friend... either way. ;)

Originally posted by jnette

Perhaps it was just a decoy........ he might be walking into a big SUPRISE (!) party on the unit !!!

Very pleased for your friend... either way. ;)

Thanks Much! A lot of hard work certainly has paid off. He was notified yesterday about the school selection and then of course being called in to work.

He went in to cover for persons who called in sick (again he is on vacation, not just a day off) so no party for him, yet.

But a big one sure is coming!

:)

Tweety, BSN, RN

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac. Has 28 years experience.

Congrats to your friend.

Yes, it is tacky to call someone on leave in to work. I think it's a policy at our hospital you can't call someone on vacation. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to staff your units.

I would have said sure "I'll come in, but it is going to cost you." I think working during scheduled leave requires double time at least.

Thank you all, I am the lucky individual who was just selected for CRNA school, and am still in shock :D

And am currently on call just in case I am needed, so may yet escape that bullet!

Having just shifted back to the ICU from PACU just this last week, I know that staffing is very tight, and being the understanding gullible optimist that I am, I know that they wouldn't have called me in unless they were desperate. Besides, as an active duty member, I must follow the last lawful order from my most senior officer. (remember HBS, seems I heard that from you!)

Take care and Happy Holidays to all, I know my Christmas is going to be Merry!!

klg

Originally posted by klgann

...and being the understanding gullible optimist that I am, I know that they wouldn't have called me in unless they were desperate. klg

Ha!

;)

Tweety, BSN, RN

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac. Has 28 years experience.

Originally posted by klgann

Thank you all, I am the lucky individual who was just selected for CRNA school, and am still in shock :D

And am currently on call just in case I am needed, so may yet escape that bullet!

Having just shifted back to the ICU from PACU just this last week, I know that staffing is very tight, and being the understanding gullible optimist that I am, I know that they wouldn't have called me in unless they were desperate. Besides, as an active duty member, I must follow the last lawful order from my most senior officer. (remember HBS, seems I heard that from you!)

Take care and Happy Holidays to all, I know my Christmas is going to be Merry!!

klg

Congrats and Merry Christmas to you. Welcome!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.