If a implanted port is in the left chest is it ok to start a peripheral IV in the Left for

Nurses General Nursing

Published

If an implanted port is on the left chest can a peripheral IV be started in the left forearm

The port is a single lumen. We are not allowed to run TPN with anything so had tp place PIV for Zosyn

Yes! We have had patients that the oncologist will not let us use the port

Thank you. The port can only be used for TPN at our hospital and hes getting Zosyn too

The port is a single lumen with TPN running. Needed to place a PIV for Zosyn./QUOTE]
Specializes in Pedi.
My son's port was to be used for chemotherapy only, period. The cancer center always stuck him when drawing blood, they never used the port for anything other than chemo infusion. He always got a peripheral IV for everything else. They get infected too easily! He had 3 total.

Complete opposite at the cancer center where my patients are treated. When I was a visiting nurse, I regularly accessed kids with solid tumors twice/week in the home for labs. For kids with ALL, they got labs drawn on one day and methotrexate the following day if they met criteria. Some of the kids didn't want to stay accessed overnight so they'd get accessed for blood draw day 1 and reaccessed for methotrexate the next day.

When I was an infusion liaison, if any of these patients had to go home on IV antibiotics for any reason, they went home with the port accessed and their parents were taught to administer IV antibiotics through the port. The visiting nurse or clinic nurse would change the needle weekly.

Specializes in Urgent Care, Oncology.
Complete opposite at the cancer center where my patients are treated.

Agreed!

+ Add a Comment