still getting my feet wet

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Specializes in med surg.

brand new nurse here 3 months , still cant get over that feeling that some days I am not that good at this!! Some days I find myself still getting so overwhelmed. I also find myself so intimidated by certain tasks like IV starts or anything that requires those nursing skills that I feel I am lacking. Sometimes I feel embarrassed to ask for help because I don't want my coworkers seeing me as incompetent, although I have a lot of support on my unit. I have made a few mistakes along the way and I beat myself up for it. I find myself so anxious driving into work somedays, literally praying to have an easy day. Please tell me I will get there!! Also had a super emotional day and cried with a patient the other day. I got really attached to this patient because I had been caring for her on every shift for 2 weeks and they finally transferred her to a higher level of care, another hospital in another town. As I was saying goodbye to her we both started crying. once again I was super embarrassed in front of my coworkers for being so emotional. ughh. just needing to vent and hope someone has some advise

First off by not asking for help or asking questions, you are showing your coworkers you are unsafe. OF course you are not good at everything yet- you are brand spanking new. You need to be asking questions. I have been working for 6 months. I make a list of questions as I go and ask people throughout my shift for help or feedback or to help clarify. I am definitely getting better. But where I work its normal not to do many IV starts. Depending where you are at some skills are more common and all skills just take practice.

Do not be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you have the number one thing to being a good nurse down- and that is compassion. You got this. The first year or two are supposed to be us just getting our toes wet. We are not expected to be great nurses yet.

Specializes in med surg.

Oh I ask questions! I almost feel like I am always asking, I think that's why I get a little embarrassed, and I don't hesitate to ask if I feel like a patient's safety is at risk. I guess I just hate still being so unsure of things. I know I am not the only one to feel this way but its still frustrating.

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.

I salute both of you! Axel has some great advice.

The only time I would question your questions is if you had been asking the same question for, say, three days in a row. Do what you can. Ask when you're not sure. Once you've been taught, retain or write it down. It's OK to cry with someone. Hang in there.

You will get there. You're doing all the right things. Everyone asks questions. MUCH better to ask questions than to be unsure and potentially cause patient harm. Nursing skills can be learned and taught, but compassion and caring can't. Think of three great things you do in a shift for every negative, but reflect on how you would have liked to do things better and then tackle that the next shift. It was about 8 months when I started to feel comfortable. One day at a time and you've got this!

+ Add a Comment