Terminated from my PerDiem Job... Need to vent

Specialties School

Published

So, when I left my last job (FT at an outpatient specialty clinic), I was asked by my supervisor if I would like to stay on per-diem. I made it clear to them that I would, but that I would have limited availability during the school year, but would be willing to do 1 day per week during July and August. The supervisor told me that would be totally fine, and we put through the paperwork. I provided them with an entire week of days to come in at the end of August to train in the departments I did not cover and a list of available days every month with the exception of September and March. I never heard anything so in early October, I emailed the scheduler to make sure they knew I was still available. Suddenly, on Monday, Nov 5th, I could no longer access my email for that job. I called IT and they stated I was listed as inactive, but that could be caused by any number of reasons and to contact my manager. My supervisor is out on maternity leave, so I emailed the practice manager right away, but didn't hear back. On Saturday, I received mail from my retirement acct manager from that job with a letter starting with "Now that you've decided to leave your employer...." Today, I received an email from the PM stating that they tried to offer me time in October but I never responded, so they off boarded me.... But I never got a phone call, email, or text from anyone. Now, I'm locked out of my email there so I can't prove this. And, on top of that, I'm out $10,000 in retirement money since I wouldn't be vested until the middle of December. I am PO'd. I can't help but feel like this was retaliatory because I was outspoken about a ballot-measure in our state that was not in agreement with the Hospital system's views.........

So, lesson learned. Once you go per-diem, make sure you always CC your home email address on all communication.

I did email in late September/early October. I'm kicking myself for not cc'ing my personal email address...

Did you do a search in your sent mail folder?

Specializes in pediatrics, school nursing.

The email was sent from my work email address, which I no longer have access to, since I was terminated...

However, it looks as though the retirement money is still mine! The agency sent me a statement from 11/23 that had my "termination" date listed as 10/19 and the money was still in the account, so that's one big whew.... I hope.

Specializes in pediatrics, school nursing.

HA!

This is one of the major hospital systems in MA that contributed to a $19million ad campaign against the nurse staffing ratio ballot question... a question which would have cost (by most estimates) just over $30million to implement (over several years). So, no... no union.....

+ Add a Comment