Issues with references

Nurses General Nursing

Published

So I am a PRN travel nurse. There are 18 hospitals within the hospital system I work for and find myself easily driving quite a distance when needs are low.

However, I am interviewing for various full time positions, and one job that seems like the best fit for me requires a total of 6 references. (3 supervisors, 3 peers)

I can work months at a time and not see the same person twice. And the travel company I work for does not really supervise me in this sense, and in fact require that I submit an annual evaluation.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. Is it weird to ask someone you've only worked with once to be your reference?

When it comes to previous employers, I have been traveling for a while now. I have lost contact with lots of people. Also, I am not on Facebook or any other social media platforms.

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

You might consider creating a LinkedIn account so that you can network a bit and build some professional references. That is a lot of references to require! Good luck.

When I floated, I was always surprised that someone remembered me because it can be infrequent that I worked on the floor. But they did. It is probably still worth asking--they may remember you more than you think as well.

For the future, it may help you to participate in committees or projects at work so that you can build more references. Or even do some volunteer work if that's not an option.

Specializes in oncology, MS/tele/stepdown.

Who does your evaluation? I would think whoever did your last one could be a reference. Your situation is definitely unique. I applied for a hospital-direct travel position earlier this year and had to get five references. I thought they were out of their minds!

+ Add a Comment