Question about applying for hospital job

Nurses Career Support

Published

So I have a question about applying for a hospital job. I graduated in May and got my RN license in July. I have stayed with the same company I have been with for the past 8 years, a group home that is not very medically needy. I transitioned from Med Aide to LPN around 10 months ago, and then to RN in July after passing NCLEX.

I know I need to get into a hospital to learn skills (we don't do really any skills at my facility at all). We do work with G-tubes and every now and then I float to a house with a trach. Will I be in danger of getting overlooked by hospitals since I have had my license for a few months now and not been using my skills? What would be the best way to go about trying to land a hospital job in terms of selling myself on my application or resume? I have had my RN license for about a full 3 months to this day. Any help or suggestions are welcomed, thank you.

Specializes in Surgical, CVICU & Oncology, Med/Surg.

It depends on what state you are in. But hospital experience is really valuable. The kind that a group home will never afford you. & if you are interested in travel nursing, definately look into hospitals. Like someone mentioned, you may have to move away from the bigger cities (like NYC, San Francisco etc) Those cities that don't hire New grads. So broaden your search area. Even with the 8yrs of experience in a group home, you'll be considered a "new grad" at a hospital & you'll understand why once you actually start working on a hospital unit. Your pay may drop, at least in that first year at the hospital, but the experience you'll get will be invaluable. All the best!!

Specializes in Surgical, CVICU & Oncology, Med/Surg.

It depends on what state you are in. But hospital experience is really valuable. The kind that a group home will never afford you. & if you are interested in travel nursing, definately look into hospitals. Like someone mentioned, you may have to move away from the bigger cities (like NYC, San Francisco etc) Those cities that don't hire New grads. So broaden your search area. Even with the 8yrs of experience in a group home, you'll be considered a "new grad" at a hospital & you'll understand why once you actually start working on a hospital unit. Your pay will drop, at least in that first year at the hospital, but the experience you'll get will be invaluable. & pay will increase with experience. All the best!!

+ Add a Comment