get a job before peer program?

Nurses Recovery

Published

so long story short, I was called to HR to discuss narcotics withdraw and ended up just confessed my sins. I was given the ability to resign so i did. i was also given the information on my states assistance program. I contacted them and they said i needed to talk to the board before they would proceed since I didn't have an income from a job or insurance to pay them.

My questions: has anyone gotten another job before enrolling in the program? I have read a lot of posts on here and I know a lot of people aren't working also but enrolled in the program. should I try to find a recovery friendly job before the board gets to my case? I received the, "youre being investigated" letter today from the attorney general. Should I reply with my side of the story or have I already shot myself in the foot enough?

Specializes in Med/Surg, Women's Health, LTC.

If you can afford one, get an attorney now. One who specializes in Nurses and State Boards. Do this before answering anything. Next, if you need, get the help you need (rehab, AA/NA, counseling, etc) and start documenting any and all meetings you go to. IF you feel you can work safely, find a job in a field that is typically recovery friendly (dialysis, SNF, psych) and start saving money that will be used to pay your attorney and all other fees.

Take care of yourself and feel free to turn to all of us for support. But, seriously, get online and find yourself a GREAT attorney NOW!

Specializes in OR.

Do not speak to any one from the board or any program with out talking to an attorney first. Check with TAANA or google nursing license defense lawyer for your state. Maybe expensive but will be well worth it. There is a reason that the law firms that do this state in thier advertisements to contact them BEFORE dealing with the board, etc. It ain't just a nice sounding shtick, I promise.

+ Add a Comment