Nursing Student International Volunteering

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Just curious if anyone else did any domestic or international medical clinic volunteering for disadvantaged or underserved populations while in nursing school or after? Im looking at International Medical Relief, Medlife, or similar type nonprofits. But just trying to determined if the experience was really worth it?

I have plenty of international work experience due to my time in the military but none of it was in the medical arena.

If you did do a domestic or international volunteer trip did you feel the experience was worth it? Was it clinically relevant and good practice? Did any of your recruiters or employers feel it added to your potential as a potential hire?

Or was it basically overpriced tourism with a day or two in a medical clinic?

Specializes in Pedi.

I did half of my community clinical in rural Nicaragua and did a medical mission trip to rural Belize the summer after I graduated through International Service Learning. It was definitely worth it. We were in clinic Mon-Fri both weeks.

I did half of my community clinical in rural Nicaragua and did a medical mission trip to rural Belize the summer after I graduated through International Service Learning. It was definitely worth it. We were in clinic Mon-Fri both weeks.

Did you do both trips with ISL? If not who did you go to Nicaragua with?

Specializes in Pedi.
Did you do both trips with ISL? If not who did you go to Nicaragua with?

I went to Nicaragua with my university. I completed half of my community clinical there.

Anyone else!?!

+ Add a Comment