What I Wish I Had Known Before

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Before -- What?

Before becoming a nurse, of course

1. That " nursing school" has little to do with what you really do as a Real Nurse. That it is pie in the sky idealism and reality hits you right away

2. That healthcare is run by non- medical administrators, and is All About The Money. Yes, even " not for profit" hospitals.

3. That lawyers and government have caused our jobs to become daily and hourly exercises in CYA

4. That the current " customer is always right " nonsense especially in the hospitals, will be the eventual downfall of getting and retaining high- quality nurses and other HC personnel

5. How many weekends and especially holidays a nurse misses with her family.

6. That MOST (note I did not say All!) nurse co-workers will throw you under the bus in a hot second this goes for NPs, Managers , physicians as well.

7. That there is Always a call- off, always one or two on FMLA or WC, and furthermore to that it is usually the same people who do this. ( They rarely get fired )

8. There's probably 100 more but these are the main ones come to mind at this late hour

°°°°°

BTW , I've been a nurse for 24 years and have worked in a variety of settings

Specializes in Med-Surg, Geriatrics, Wound Care.
I am not a nurse yet but I always have some disturbing scenarios and zero answers on how to handle them. How would you handle harassment from patients? I am really uncomfortable being alone left with a guy(especially old weird ones), so if you get harassed by them (touching or verbally or whatever) how do would you get out from that or is there any "security" for nurses?

Rarely, there are those touchy guys. Generally, we've had it where nobody would go into that patient's room alone. Always bring another nurse or tech with you. A guy if you can muster it. Just make sure your charge nurse, and the unit director, and maybe even administration is aware of them.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.
I don't know anybody who has FMLA who doesn't need it.

I need it for my legitimate autoimmune disorders (Sjogren's & Ankolysing Spondylitis).

I've known a few who had FMLA and it was bogus, one being my soon-to-be-ex-husband. DH (and that does NOT stand for "Dear Husband") had FMLA, renewed annually, for ulcerative colitis, which has been under good control since 1999. He uses the time for skiing, sailing and "mental health days" necessitated by his inability to get along with anyone who doesn't agree with him. The majority of FMLA I've encountered has been absolutely legitimate. The few bogus claims make it look bad for all of us.

I've also had my share of FMLA. For a serious back injury, joint replacements and a couple of rounds of cancer. And there was the one to take care of my father as he was dying, and one to take care of mymother from the time Dad died until I could get her into assisted living. Mom had Alzheimer's, and I cannot TELL you how much I would rather have been at work!

This is the 2nd comment of yours I've read and it stuck out due to your desire to choose 2 professions at once...ok. Anyway, so with that I think we could compare school to real-life suckery in almost all careers, no? I had another career that required State licensure and it was so similar. Got out of school thinking I was ready. Nope! Paid my dues an then became an expert. Now I'm a novice again in a new career. I bet social workers and lawyers and teachers all start out thinking how great it will be and then are smacked the face. They eventually find balance or don't and quit.

Well, I got a headstart on the auto stuff. So I got that going for me.

I don't plan on working both simaltaneously. No way

+ Add a Comment