2018 Lice

Specialties School

Published

I have a girl with chronic lice. Non compliant with treatment, and mom "can't make her do it."

Other parents are worried because she is on a sports team that has lots of close contact.

Thoughts on how to handle this?

The age of the student is paramount here. If she is in middle school or above, you can provide her with a lice comb and teacher her to go through her own hair nightly at home, and check in with you say, every Friday. It might work with some younger kids too.

I had the same situation in two separate families: one family had all special needs kids and they were not capable of doing this. Mom did nothing (no job, did not actually 'care' for the kids in the years I worked with them) - it was truly sad. But I just kept putting it back on mom: I'd check the kids every Friday, no matter what, because they were chronic for YEARS. And their paraprofessionals would bring them down whenever they had any concerns. If I found anything - call to mom, off to home they would go. They needed to see me the morning they returned to confirm that the lice was gone (or back home they went). It's not our job to be their parent - but we do need to be the 'checks & balances' of some of the parents.

The other family had siblings in the 7th & 8th grade... I simply worked with them to help teach them autonomy (since the adult at home did not follow-through). They were provided their own lice combs, I taught them to comb through their own hair (or each others), what they were looking for, and then I would follow-up with them every Friday. They very quickly took care of the lice problem all on their own. AUTONOMY!

Best of luck to you!

Black light? Do you know if you can get one cheap?

Yes, they sell them at Halloween time and also with the pet cleaning supplies. The black light highlights urine stains in carpet.

+ Add a Comment