PMHNP shadow opportunity

Specialties NP

Published

Specializes in Emergency Psych, ICU.

Hi everyone,

Having recently graduated from my BSN, I am seriously considering entering a PMHNP program, but before starting the application process, I would be interested in seeing what the job entails by observing a Nurse Practioner. I was wondering if anyone in Southern California would be willing to let me shadow them to get a better idea of the job and scope of practice?

My professional experience includes 6 years in a psychiatric emergency department in Europe and 6 months in a Psychiatric Emergency Screening Service (PESS) Unit in New Jersey.

I also would like to know where the need for PMHNP in Southern CA is the most important and which programs are the most recommended (online or face to face).

Thanks in advance for your help

Specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

Your best bet to be able to shadow is through people you know, or through your current employer if they offer psych services. Psych tends to be very difficult to find shadow options because of the confidentiality issues. I applied through an official channel for either a shadow or even short informational interview at a local hospital prior to nursing school and was flat out turned down. All of the shadowing I've received has been through individuals who know me personally, either PMHNP coworkers or other members of my professional network, and informational interviews and mentoring have been much easier to find because even if the PMHNP is willing, a lot of times their organization forbids shadowing because of the sensitivity of mental health confidentiality. I've had the best luck getting actual shadowing in private practice settings or when I've worked for the same employer/same setting as the PMHNP.

I do think as some one with psychiatric nursing experience you'll have an easier time talking some one into giving you a shadow or informational interview opportunity than some one that doesn't but it may still be hard.

Specializes in Emergency Psych, ICU.

Unfortunately having just moved to CA and working in ICU with no psych department in my hospital, I have no connections whatsoever and don't really know how to go about it. I did reach out to APNA with no success :(

+ Add a Comment