Global Health anyone?

Specialties Public/Community

Published

Specializes in ACNP-BC.

Hi! I have not been on allnurses in a while. :) I have been working as an NP for over 10 years now. I enjoy the population I work with full time in my outpatient adult diabetes clinic. I also received my DNP last May, and am now also teaching online NP classes as an adjunct on the side.

But for some reason, I have this feeling that I should be doing more. It's a little hard to explain, but I think I am getting frustrated with seeing one patient at a time and not feeling that I am making a huge difference. I took a class this past summer in Global Health/Public health and loved it. Now I think I might want to take a few more classes and get my certificate in Global Health (from UMASS Amherst, I love that school!).

I think I am getting frustrated with not being able to make a big difference at the population level the longer I am in nursing. Does that make sense to anyone? I hope I am not crazy lol! My husband thinks I am crazy for taking more classes after I already received my DNP last year.

Anyone else in my boat?? :)

-Christine

Lifelong learning is important to keep you motivated and stimulated. Congratulations on your achievements thus far!

I think you are doing plenty to impact a community. Whether it is one person at a time or a group of people, what you are doing is making a difference in somebody's life. My belief tells me that when God makes His final judgment on you, it won't be on the quantity, it will be on quality.

However, if you are feeling a pull towards a population of people, I say work it out with your family and see what happens.

Best wishes.

Specializes in ACNP-BC.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind words :)

Christine

I know this is an old post but did you get your certificate in global health?

+ Add a Comment