How can I avoid diluted urine?

Nurses Recovery

Published

Basically I get drug tested every few weeks, and it randomly gets sent to the labs whenever they choose. I don't use any substances what so ever. But the issue is the last few labs that have been sent to the lab all came back diluted. Once for creatine levels, another for ph levels off and another for the gravity levels. Now I'm a pretty skinny guy, I don't eat a lot and I don't try to cheat any drug test because I have nothing to hide. I don't drink coffe or energy drinks and I try not to drink to much water before a test. Any tips or suggestion on how I can just submit a regular urine sample ?

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I moved this to nurses/recovery forum but if this isn't a recovery issue, please give us a few more details and I'll move it to the correct forum

Wow, out of 64 tests in 3 years, I only had a dilute urine once, I never knew why and never tried to do anything major to avoid it. I know people like you that do have this problem though.

My routine was always to check at 4 am to see if I was required to test, and to go directly to the lab when they opened at 8 am, giving that first urine of the day. Worked for me. I work nights so technically that 8 am urine was really the LAST urine of my day on nights I was working, but since I was working I wasn't drinking a lot of water and my main meal during my shift was always no later than midnight. I sipped water throughout the rest of the evening during my shift but no big meals or snacks where I'd tend to drink a lot with my food. and on nights where I wasn't working I always tended to wake up (out of paranoia) around 4 am to check in and see if I needed to test that day, but I also tend to get up once in the middle of the night to pee, so that "first morning urine" was technically the second, but I hadn't had anything to drink (since I was sleeping) between my middle of the night trip to the bathroom and the 8 am waking up and going straight to the lab.

So I guess my advice would be to do a food/beverage log, seriously with the beverage too. Measure liquids using water bottles or whatever, don't just keep adding water to your cup as the ice melts, measure it. And also, try to give the first urine of the day or if you just can't hold it, give the second, without having had coffee/breakfast yet.

I have an issue w diluted urine. Try to go as early as possible....(like only your second urine of the day) mine was bc of drinking alot of caffeine (I mean that's all I drink....diet coke). Anyway if I forgot for some reason in the morning to check In and I had to go in the afternoon i would immediately pee after finding out that i had to go....then not drink anything but sips of water and go about 1 &1/2 hours later. I had trouble peeing when i did that one time in 7 years. They would never tell us if ours were positive negative or dilute.....but after research with the testing company I found out they retested me after each dilute...(like a second chance) so I always knew when I had one bc 2 days later I had to test again. I had 4 of them after looking back and it freaked me out bc I know other nurses that gott time added to their discipline for it. So I started checking first thing in the morning and I would be there the minute the place opened.

+ Add a Comment