IV vs PO abx

Nurses General Nursing

Published

A while back, my Dad was in the ER with pneumonia- He drove himself there after a week or so of generalized symptoms.

Doc: Looks like we should admit him for a day or two.

Me: Why?

Doc: IV antibiotcs.

Me: Which one?

Doc: Levaquin.

Me: Given the excellent bio-availability of PO Levaquin, why not send him home with a prescription?

Doc: He might get worse despite treatment.

Me: I'll bring him back.

Doc: Sounds like a plan.

I work in an ER, and give a lot of IV antibiotics.

Often on admitted patients, and periodically have to start a line for one administration. (I really want to tell the patient to refuse, and request PO.)

Obviously, this is needed for PTs who cannot tolerate PO.

Other than that, is there any evidence anywhere that the preference for IV abx is supported?

One argument is the high concentrations needed for certain infections. But that can be maintained by appropriate dosing.

Another argument is for more rapid absorption. Maybe. This might be the case for a rapidly progressing infection, which is rarely the case. And, I would argue that on average, the patient getting IV abx (in the ER) reaches effective plasma concentration more slowly due to:

• Starting IV
  • Obtaining the med, which may need to come from pharmacy
  • Actual duration of administration
  • Setting up a pump, and inevitable pump issues

I strongly suspect that, if studied, on average patients getting PO abx reach effective plasma concentrations earlier.

So- anybody know of any good evidence supporting the widespread practice of IV abx over PO?

Specializes in NICU.

This topic is a non topic..over and out.

There are many layered factors as to why an IV antibiotic would be preferable.

1. Failed oral antibiotics.

2. Seriousness of the disease being treated.

3. Co-morbidities.

4. Gi, liver, renal function.

Seniors don't recover from pneumonia like someone who is younger, especially if they are a smoker or have COPD. If they are sick enough to go to the emergency room versus urgent care or oxygen saturation levels are compromised on a patient normally not oxygen dependent, that would completely warrant IV antibiotics over PO as a first course of treatment. Many times they just need a few doses to get them started and transition to PO.

+ Add a Comment