Dismissed from LAHC (ADN) nursing program

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I failed my nursing course twice and was dismissed from Los Angeles Harbor College's nursing program. I've taken time to reflect on why I failed, and what I can do differently to improve and do better in the future. I am determined to be a nurse and must apply for other programs as a "transfer" or "advanced placement" student. I've looked into other ADN programs and would prefer to be in an ADN program. I've researched National and West Coast University but I do not think that's the best choice. I have heard that the ADN programs are very difficult to get into as advanced placement, and Long Beach City College stated that their waitlist was 3 to 5 years. My goal is to get into a nursing program within the next year. I would like to go to El Camino College, or Long Beach City College. I am also open to Cypress, Cerritos, Rio Hondo, Santa Monica, Saddleback, and Golden West. Does anyone have any tips or personal experience getting into these schools? Have you heard stories of others who have been able to get into another program within a year? From what I am hearing, it sounds near impossible or that it will take me many years. I feel really down and like I blew my only chance.

I think you would probably have better luck getting into an LVN program and then finding a bridge program that allows you to continue on to RN. And even that may be challenging. Most nursing programs won't accept students who left another nursing program on "bad terms".

Anecdotally, I've read that LVN/LPN to RN bridge programs are not the be all, end all they were in the past. Your post mentions "transfer", and "advanced placement". My understanding is that both of those are descriptive of students leaving their program in good standing. It sounds as if someone might have erred somewhat on the side of telling you what they thought you would feel better hearing at the time, rather than a reality that is more grim. At any rate, good luck in finding a new program.

+ Add a Comment