Precepting Incentives Student/New Hire

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I am working on a project currently regarding nursing culture and precepting New Hires and Senior Nursing Students for their practicum hours.

Does your institution ask or tell you that you are going to take on a student?

Does your institution ask or tell you that you are going to take on a new hire?

Does your institution provide any incentive (decrease patient load, clinical ladder, access to additional education, extra vacation time, thank yous, etc.) to taking on a student or new hire (please specify if the incentive is specific to one and not the other)?

Does your institution provide any pay incentive (please specify if the incentive is specific to one and not the other) ?

What would you want for incentive to take on a preceptorship (if anything) and would you expect it to be different for a new hire vs student?

If you could kindly provide the city and state you work in or at least the state, I would appreciate it as well.

The institution I currently worked with in Toledo, Ohio, asks their staff if they would like to take on a nursing student but does not ask if they would like to take on a new hire. They are not paid any extra to do these preceptorships though they can utilize the experience as a means to climb the clinical ladder.

+ Add a Comment