Province Relocation

World Canada

Published

Hello everyone,

Next year I will be graduating from nursing. I currently live in Saskatchewan and want to move to Alberta after the NCLEX. Do I have to register with the SRNA (Saskatchewan) to write the exam in Saskatchewan? Can I register with CARNA (alberta) and write the NCLEX in Saskatchewan? Also, what is a good time to apply for a job in Alberta? Can I apply for a job before I pass the NCLEX and start working after I pass? How long does it take to get an interview/get an answer about a job?

Thank you,

Chantal

As a heads up, the job market in Alberta sounds pretty difficult to get your foot in the door. Being an out of province new grad will only make it harder

I have a coworker who came from Alberta this year. She said it's not the easiest market for new grads to find work after graduation. look into the job market before deciding to move. It may change next year

Specializes in NICU, PICU, PCVICU and peds oncology.

To answer the OP's actual questions... You will need to apply for the NCLEX through the SRNA but can write it anywhere. You have to apply through the province where you were educated, and once you've passed the exam you'll also have to take out initial registration there before applying to CARNA. It's a bit of a cash grab, IMO. You can certainly apply for jobs before you've succeeded with the NCLEX, with the caveat that your ongoing employment would be contingent on passing. You'd work as a graduate nurse until you have your proof of passing. But... and here's the thing. As previously stated the nursing situation in Alberta is pretty sad at the moment. There have been ongoing reports of severe understaffing in some ERs, with the usual promises of "any day now we'll hire some more staff" without any actual action. Every weekend there are hundreds of hours of overtime being worked, but the ERs are still understaffed. That speaks volumes. It says that even when there's a crisis, there won't be a loosening of the purse strings. Be prepared for a long period of casual work and unpredictable income.

+ Add a Comment