Starting new job

Nurses General Nursing

Published

So I am very nervous and just want to vent. I have been an RN for the last 2 1/2 years and have worked at a community hospital on a med-surg tele floor. I have had up to 9 patients every shift so I feel I was always in crisis mode while working. I have finally left this job because it was unsafe, protocols and policies were not really followed, and there was no room for growth there. I was very unhappy and stressed out all the time and every task not completed fell back on the nurse.. anywhere from transporting patients, dietary, lab work, nurse aides.. it was too much.

I got a job offer at a level I hospital and one of the best in the state and I start tomorrow. I am so nervous because I feel like I am not smart enough and that I dont know how much I was retaining at my previous job or not doing tasks the correct way due to needing to take short cuts because it was a chaotic mess. I will be working a medical telemetry floor. Im just scared that I wont be smart or know anything when they test me for my competencies tomorrow and that they will be like where the heck did she get her work experience from? Maybe im getting in my head a little too much and everything will be fine but starting from scratch again is nerve wrecking and I just want to fulfill the needs of the candidate they want for the job position. Any kind words or encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Specializes in Pediatrics, Pediatric Float, PICU, NICU.

I think if you were able to safely provide care to NINE patients a shift and keep them alive, you will be fine!! The fact that you recognize and are aware that you may have learned short cuts that you shouldn't do from here on out is great. Good luck to you!

+ Add a Comment