team nursing in acute care

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi There, I work in on a med surg tele unit. Our Director said we would be moving to team nursing where each nurse is primary for their 5-6 patients and secondary for their partners patients. I'm curious if any of you have experiences with this. If you like it or not? I think it may get confusing. And I really don't want to feel responsible for 10+ patients. I am an I'm always happy to help out a fellow nurse but I don't want to be picking up the slack all day for someone who isn't organized or good with time management. The thought of my vocera going off even more than it already does to help my secondary patients makes me cringe.

Specializes in Psych, Corrections, Med-Surg, Ambulatory.

They used to have team nursing in the olden days, before primary nursing. However, I was working psych back then which is a whole different thing. So it probably can work, but like anything, you have to have the proper resources to make it work.

Generally, though, any time management rearranges the work load, nurses do more work. When they drop aides and go to an all-RN staff: ratios stay the same and the nurse does more. When they go from an all-RN staff and add aides: you can farm out some of the tasks but get a bigger patient load.

Any rearranging of the work load is never good news for the nurse.

They used to have team nursing in the olden days, before primary nursing. However, I was working psych back then which is a whole different thing. So it probably can work, but like anything, you have to have the proper resources to make it work.

Generally, though, any time management rearranges the work load, nurses do more work. When they drop aides and go to an all-RN staff: ratios stay the same and the nurse does more. When they go from an all-RN staff and add aides: you can farm out some of the tasks but get a bigger patient load.

Any rearranging of the work load is never good news for the nurse.

Realest post in this thread. They never implement changes to help the nurse, it's always about the bottom financial line.

+ Add a Comment