Bored new grad

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ED, med-surg, peri op.

So I'm a new grad, who has always studied and worked. I've never had 'days off' or much free time.

I studied health science for 2 years and worked 3-4 days aweek. And For the 4 years of nursing school I worked every single weekend. So honestly didn't have much of a life outside of work and study. All my friends were nursing students as well, so ofcourse whenever I was with them we were studying or talking about school/nursing.

I've been working now for 7 months in a hospital, doing 4, 8.5 hour shifts a week. (Which is my country's standard full time hours for nursing) which mean I have 3 whole days off a week. I moved to a new town for this job, which is tiny and nothing much here, and don't really have any friends tbh. I live on my own too. So I have absolutely nothing to do on my days off. At first it was nice, but now I'm just bored. I keep asking for extra work simply because I have nothing else to do.

Im looking for more things to do on my days off, but not a clue what to do. Any suggestions? I've started playing netball, and been able to do some more travelling so spend time planing that. Also I'm thinking of doing some post grad study next year possibly. But I'm still so. God. Damn. Bored!!!!

Specializes in Critical care.

How about picking up another hobby? I've recently gotten into photography and I'm going to take some online classes for that. I might even turn it into a mini business doing photo shoots for friends and family. I bought a nice camera and will add more accessories to it as I go. I'm planning on going to local parks and attractions (botanical gardens, etc.) and taking pictures- places I can go to on my own (I won't venture out on hikes alone for safety reasons).

Is there a book club you can join? Or how about a knitting club or something like that?

I don't know if the website MeetUp is a thing in your country, but I'm in a bunch of groups on it. Different activities are posted (based on each groups location and preferences). I've gone hiking, river tubing, bowling, hiking, camping, trivia, dodgeball in a trampoline park, skiing, etc. I've met new people and it allows me to do different activities that all of my friends aren't necessarily interested in.

Good luck!

+ Add a Comment