Long hair at the bedside

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I have a question. Have things changed in hospitals at the bedside to the point that nurses who have waist length hair are no longer required to have it in a pony tail or braid or bun? A few weeks ago my husband had a procedure done in the GI lab. One of the nurses came into the waiting room to call the next patient back into the patient admit area and her hair was long enough she could sit on it, and not restrained in any way. All I could think of was "yuck" and "fomite!". I wanted to run up to her and give her my infection control talk, but didn't....maybe I should have...

Clinic shoes!!!! Thank goodness I don't have to wear them anymore! I firmly believe that they were

the start of my hammertoes and bone spurs. Thankfully I can wear sneakers now for my poor feet. I quit wearing my cap in 1977 when it fell into a bedside commode.

I have very curly, frizzy hair: after years of wearing it in a high bun, one patient called it "Irish washer-woman hair" :roflmao: I decided I needed a style that was more polished. I do my hair in a "Gibson tuck" for work - off the shoulders, easy as heck, and looks good, classic, and polished with natural, curly hair.

Specializes in Psych, Peds, Education, Infection Control.
I suddenly feel the need to shower and wash my hair after reading the comments in this thread. LMAO

Me too, and mine is super short!

Yes!! I I had long hair and it had to be in a bun! It's common sense! Hair sheds & can cause infections. The nurses that don't do it, in my opinion are Stupid.

When I worked bedside nursing I had waist length hair. Always sore it up or in a ponytail. One night I left it down and a patient projectile vomited in my hair. That was it for me wearing it loose.

That's what get being unprofessional!! L lol

Hair should always be up if it is long! That's common sense that some nurses don't have!!

I was taught hair up, nails short with no polish. Just wedding rings were allowed. Discreet make up!!

We are professional people & we should look like it! We're not in a night club!!!! Safety for the patient & you are at stake. Do you want to bring something home to your family?

Ha ha!!! You deserved it for being unprofessional!

When I worked bedside nursing I had waist length hair. Always sore it up or in a ponytail. One night I left it down and a patient projectile vomited in my hair. That was it for me wearing it loose.

Ha ha! You deserved it for being unprofessional!!

+ Add a Comment