STUDENT Heart rate 185

Specialties School

Published

just had a student whos HR was 185 after returning from recess and stayed that way 15 minute's after being inactive. He had no other complaints and English is his 2nd language I called parents and he was able to somewhat communicate what I was saying . he has no medical history of this in his file but parents seem to be aware of it and said that he just needs to stop running and that I could send him back to class. What would you have done. HR is 85 now other vitals WNL.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

I would document this issue and express that you already spoke to parents about it and what they told you. I would keep an eye on said student, ask teachers on his behavior and if it happens again, that's when we need to explain to parent this warrants a doctor visit to make sure he's fine. After this said talk, document you spoke to parents about incident and that they need to go see a physician.

We can only help as much as we can.

May I ask what language they speak?

Specializes in IMC, school nursing.

Was the pulse regular? BP? O2 sat? SVT can cause hypotension and increased O2 demand.If it were irregular, that could mean a-fib and a trip to the ER. In the future, have the student cough forcibly, this causes a valsalva maneuver which could break the rhythm. Just wondering, as it is a risk factor, was the student African? My Ethiopian neighbors called me over for their child who was unresponsive (they didn't know it) and a pulse of > 250. One of the scariest things I have encountered, I had to rescue breath for about a minute as he was grey.

+ Add a Comment