Finding a job with a criminal background

Nurses Criminal

Published

Hi Nurse Beth.

I graduated from the LPN program and have passed the NCLEX, However it has been hard for me to get a job. I had a charge of child abandonment in 1993 on my background that resulted in a couple of hours in jail and me having to pay a fine of $400 which was classified as a Class A misdemeanor. when i went to apply for a nursing job at the nursing home facility i was told that i got the job until my background check had come back. They told me that they could not hire me with what I had on my background. I was very disappointed and now i feel that i will never be able to get any nursing job. I don't understand why BON would allow me to go through the process of everything if there is a possibility of me not being able to work as a nurse. I really need some advice. Thank You

While I appreciate how difficult this is for you how is the Board to know that places won't hire you? The Board has no control over that. Are you being honest n your applications when they ask about criminal history? If you are and you're getting interviews the best thing to do is to be well-prepared to explain how this circumstance molded you into the responsible, ethical, hard-working person you are today. Taking care of vulnerable patients is not so far off from taking care of children so it's not hard to see why you're having difficulty. You really need to address this head-on in your interviews. Good luck.

Specializes in med surg.

What state are you in? Have you thought about having the charge expunged? Once expunged you don't have to disclose on a job application. It's seriously infortunate that a crime this old is hindering you.

Specializes in med surg.

Ok sorry just noticed you are in Texas. Not sure if the laws in Texas

+ Add a Comment