Jail, correctional facility RN

World Canada

Published

Specializes in Long-term care, ICU..

What is it like to work at a jail as an RN? I applied for a position to see what's it all about. The pay seems very high compared to other RN positions in the city. I'm wondering if it's because the job is such high stress?

Thank you.

You are right high level of stress not by inmates but by nursing staff. Good luck.

Where in Canada are you?

In Alberta, Corrections contracts to Alberta Health Services, so wages are the same. I've had friends work in Corrections. The prisoners are manipulative and will play you. The CO's either love you or hate you and you'll figure out soon how safe you feel.

Some pay higher to include hazard pay due to the population you work with. Also can be harder positions to fill. The jails are more acute in people are coming in off the streets - some unstable and needing to detox in the health clinic. Depending on the jail the nurse works intake, detox, pill/diabetic line, clinic, inpatient area and respond to emergencies. The prisons are less acute as they have already been incarcerated for a while.

Lots of health teaching. Lots of manipulation and behaviors. But I really enjoyed it. Can be some rough nurses to work with too. You can check out the corrections nursing forum in the specialties.

Some pay higher to include hazard pay due to the population you work with. Also can be harder positions to fill. The jails are more acute in people are coming in off the streets - some unstable and needing to detox in the health clinic. Depending on the jail the nurse works intake, detox, pill/diabetic line, clinic, inpatient area and respond to emergencies. The prisons are less acute as they have already been incarcerated for a while.

Lots of health teaching. Lots of manipulation and behaviors. But I really enjoyed it. Can be some rough nurses to work with too. You can check out the corrections nursing forum in the specialties.

Where in Canada do you work?

In my province, Corrections Nurses are either provincial or federal employees. They pay union rates and no "hazard pay"

+ Add a Comment