Grooming/Human trafficking

Specialties School

Published

**Please don't post to Facebook**

I had a student (14yof) tell me about a "professional" relationship she had initiated with a "record label/music producer/manager." She found this guy cold calling any labels she could find numbers for about 2 months ago. She is one of my ff and had briefly mentioned this awhile back, and at the time I thought, "oh, I hope this girl and her family aren't going to be scammed into giving this guy lots of money."

Well, recently, she told me more about the situation and some things that had been weirding her out about it. She had been arguing with her mom, because she felt like mom wasn't supporting her dreams, etc. This guy was saying he would send her a bus ticket for Las Vegas and help her get emancipated, that she would be rich and he would have her star in a reality show, etc. He also started making inappropriate comments such as saying her lips were "kissable," calling her "baby" or "baby girl," and asking if she would be interested in dating an older man. (He had told her he was 30 something, but a little google searching reveals this guy is likely in his 40s).

Anyway, I made a report to the National Human Trafficking Hotline and spoke with a rep there. She had said that she would pass the report along to the local law enforcement since it involved a minor. I also spoke with this student at length about the dangers of this situation and spoke to her mom (who works at a jail and is well aware of all the creeps out there - and had been telling her daughter not to call/contact people she doesn't know, etc.). I'm planning to follow up with this student this week to see if she has still been in contact with this guy.

So here is my question... As I don't have an actual suspicion of abuse or reason to believe she is in any immediate danger, I didn't feel comfortable including this student's name in the report. The student didn't feel comfortable giving her name either. I did encourage mom to call and make her own report and gave her the case number. What would you do in this situation? Would you include a minor's name when nothing outright illegal had been done? No pictures or videos were exchanged, per the student. No actual face to face contact had occurred. I did agree to talk with law enforcement if they wanted to contact me. I suppose at that point I could give them the name of the student and parent if they wanted more info. Anyway, although I've had plenty of experience submitting CPS reports for students, this was my first situation like this, and I was a little unsure on my legal responsibility here.

Thoughts?

ETA: I also notified the school counselors.

Specializes in Rehab, acute/critical care.

I think you handled that great, I've never worked in peds or been in a situation like that but you did great reporting it and making everyone aware. I'm sure the mother appreciates you notifying her. I hope everything turns out well. You potentially stopped something bad from happening to her.

Specializes in CPN.
One question is raised - if no pictures were exchanged, then why does he tell her she has kissable lips?

They follow each other on Instagram. Both their profiles are public.

I just spoke with her today to follow up. The guy had texted her again from a different number asking for a pic and calling her sexy. She and her mom both spoke with the national hotline and gave them their names. Mom helped block the numbers. I was able to help reaffirm her choices and she said that she and her mom are doing better.

This was definitely a scary situation. I'm just so grateful she talked with me before we took a break for summer. Who knows what could have happened!

Specializes in Med/Surg/Infection Control/Geriatrics.

You handled it beautifully. You protected her privacy and her person. Well done!

Specializes in CPN.

I thought I had posted an update here, but it seems I was struck by the ole "typed it up but didn't submit" ailment.

Briefly, I was able to follow up with the student last week to re-emphasize the dangers of the situation. She told me that she and her mother were getting along a bit better. That the guy had texted her from a different number saying, "Hey sexy" and asking for her to send a photo. Mom and the student both spoke with the hotline via the case number I gave them. Mom also made sure that the student had blocked all known numbers, etc. I'm hopeful that she has learned a lot from this situation and will hopefully be able to see these red flags herself in the future.

Specializes in Case manager, UR.

I'd be so tempted to send him back a picture of a large, threatening looking police officer..

+ Add a Comment