How to get to scrub more as an OR nurse

Specialties Operating Room

Published

As a circulating RN at a hospital where scrubs are mostly CSTS, how do you get more experience wit scrubbing?

Do you get stuck into a box as "only a circulator" if you don't do it much? How do you advocate to do more scrubbing?

Would it be weird to ask to pick up CST shifts instead of RN shifts as an RN?

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.

If you are seeking scrub experience, your best bet is to find a facility that is primarily staffed by RNs. It wouldn't hurt to ask about shifts in the scrub role, but be prepared to be told no or to possibly be pulled into a circulator role if staffing needs require it.

My facility (academic medical center, level 1 trauma), expects RNs to be able to scrub. New to OR nurses are taught in our residency program, and from time to time we hire an RN who strictly circulates. It's totally dependent on staffing. Most of our managers/admin team who can take patient care assignments prefer to scrub when pulled to meet staffing needs. You could definitely ask for more scrub assignments. The worst that can happen is be told no. Sometimes we have had to ask to maintain proficiency for certain types of cases. Facilities utilizing their RNs as scrubs when needed have an additional layer of staffing flexibility both during non-prime hours and when things happen and change during the day. I've been called in and assigned to scrub many times I've been called in. Often when calling staff in, our charge will put people "in a room" and we can choose who scrubs and who circulates if both are RNs. I also know some folks who've picked up shifts or scrub call with our L&D unit...but that's a specific kind of experience. Depends though, you may have to go elsewhere...I don't know specifics about your facility.

If I ever did apply elsewhere where RNs scrub and circulate, would I be an unappealing candidate coming from a facility where scrubbing is mostly done by CSTs? I'm just nervous about being "locked into" a circulator-only role.

If I ever did apply elsewhere where RNs scrub and circulate, would I be an unappealing candidate coming from a facility where scrubbing is mostly done by CSTs? I'm just nervous about being "locked into" a circulator-only role.

I would think it would be fine. You explain what prompted the change, what appeals to you and what you have to offer. You answer honestly, say you're inexperienced scrubbing but willing (and eager) to learn. No matter whether you have scrub experience or not, someone with OR experience is likely to be more preferred over someone new to the OR... Least that's my opinion.

I would think it would be fine. You explain what prompted the change, what appeals to you and what you have to offer. You answer honestly, say you're inexperienced scrubbing but willing (and eager) to learn. No matter whether you have scrub experience or not, someone with OR experience is likely to be more preferred over someone new to the OR... Least that's my opinion.

+ Add a Comment